Effects of Light and Potassium Ion on Buoyancy Regulation with Gas Vesicle in a Cyanobacterium Microcystis aeruginosa NIES-843
In this study, we confirmed the effects of light and K+ concentration on the buoyancy of the cyanobacterium Microcystis aeruginosa (Kutzing) Lemmermann (NIES-843), and the relationship between the gas vesicle and buoyancy of M. aeruginosa was revealed through the culture experiment. The results showed that under laboratory conditions, light illumination and K+ concentration strongly affected the flotation and settlement of M. aeruginosa, and that the floating and settling cycle of M. aeruginosa could be reproduced in a test tube by controlling light illuminance. The ability of M. aeruginosa buoyancy weakened with the increase in the K+ concentration, and M. aeruginosa could not exhibit buoyancy at the K+ concentration of 0.03 mol/L. The phase-contrast microscope observation revealed that M. aeruginosa that floated on the water surface had gas vesicles, while none of the gas vesicles was detected for M. aeruginosa at the bottom of a test tube.
KeywordsMicrocystis Gas vesicle Buoyancy Sedimentation
We thank Dr. Takayuki Negishi, Meijo University, Japan, for his fruitful and helpful discussions about the phase-contrast microscope.
- Ahn, C.-Y., Park, D.-K., Kim, H.-S., Chung, A.-S., & Oh, H.-M. (2004). K: Fe ratio as an indicator of cyanobacterial bloom in a eutrophic lake. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 14(2), 290–296.Google Scholar
- Garrity, G. M. (2012). Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology: volume one: the archaea and the deeply branching and phototrophic bacteria: Springer Science & Business Media.Google Scholar
- Madigan, M. T., Martinko, J. M., & Parker, J. (2017). Brock biology of microorganisms (vol. 13): Pearson.Google Scholar
- Novina, C., Meister, G., Ostermeier, M., & Xiong, T. (2017). Systems and methods for genome modification and regulation. US Patent App. 15/539,256.Google Scholar
- Sigee, D. (2005). Freshwater microbiology: biodiversity and dynamic interactions of microorganisms in the aquatic environment: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Sugimoto, K., Amano, Y., Machida, M., Imazeki, F. (2014). Effects of nutrient concentration and light exposure on the buoyancy of subcultured strain Microcystis aeruginosa. The 28th Conference on Environmental Information Science, Vol.28, 161–166.Google Scholar
- Walsby. (1994). Gas vesicles. Microbiological Reviews, 58(1), 94–144.Google Scholar