Stochastic Modelling of Rainfall in Humid Region of North East India
- 176 Downloads
Rainfall is one of the fundamental components of the hydrological cycle as its accurate estimation is necessary for planning, designing and operation of water resources development programmes. In the present study, monthly stochastic model was developed using rainfall data for Doimukh (Itanagar), Arunachal Pradesh, India. The rainfall series was assumed to be composed of deterministic and stochastic components. The trend component was found to be non-significant. Fourier series analysis was used to identify the periodic component. Three harmonics were found significant. The stochastic component was modeled by fitting into auto regressive model of order 6. The Mean and standard deviation of the generated series were found to be close to the historical values. The value of absolute error, relative error, correlation coefficient and Nash–Sutcliffe coefficient indicated a high degree of model fitness to the observed data series.
KeywordsRainfall Stochastic models Time series Autoregressive models Humid region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson OD (1976) Time series analysis and forecasting, the Box–Jenkins Approach. Butterwarth, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Bhakar SR, Singh R, Hari R (2006) Stochastic modeling of wind speed at Udaipur. Indian J Agril Engg 43(1):1–7Google Scholar
- Brockwell PJ, Davis RA (2002) Introduction to time series and forecasting, Springer International EditionGoogle Scholar
- Chow VT, Maidment DR, Mays LW (1988) Applied hydrology. Mc Graw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Gupta RK, Kumar R (1994) Stochastic analysis of weekly evaporation values. Indian J Agril Engg 4(3–4):140–142Google Scholar
- Jha V, Singh R, Bhakar SR (2003) Stochastic modeling of soil moisture. J Agril Engg 40(4):51–56Google Scholar
- Kottegoda NT (1980) Stochastic water resources technology. Macmillan Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Mutreja KN (1986) Applied hydrology. Tata Mc Graw-Hill, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- Salas JD, Delleur JW, Yevgevich V, Lane WL (1981) Applied modeling of hydrologic time series. Water Resources Publication, Littleton, ColoradoGoogle Scholar
- Rajkumar KN, Kumar D (2004) Stochastic modeling of daily rainfall for south west monsoon season of Baptla, Andhra Pradesh. Indian J Agril Engg 41(3):41–45Google Scholar
- Reddy KM, Kumar D (1999) Time series analysis of monthly rainfall for Bino watershed of Ramganga river. J Agril Engg (ISAE) 36(4):19–29Google Scholar