Explaining Trust in Canadian Charities: The Influence of Public Perceptions of Accountability, Transparency, Familiarity and Institutional Trust
Public trust of nonprofits can augment social benefits of the nonprofit sector by enhancing engagement of the general population in the sector. This study analyzed cross sectional data collected from a random sample of Canadians (n = 3853) to test the effects of respondents’ perceptions of financial accountability, transparency, and familiarity of charitable nonprofits, along with the effects of trust in key institutions on their general trust in charitable nonprofits. Results show that each factor (except for trust in government institutions) has a significant effect on the level of trust respondents had in charitable nonprofits. The study helps advance our understanding of what contributes to trust in charitable nonprofits among Canadians and offers suggestions on how nonprofits can garner greater trust with the population.
KeywordsTrust Nonprofit Charity Accountability Transparency Familiarity
We are grateful to have this data which were made available to us by generosity of the Muttart Foundation (Canada) and Imagine Canada. The authors are very grateful to the Muttart Foundation and Imagine Canada for the use of their 2013 dataset.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Berman, G., & Davidson, S. (2003). Do donors care? Some Australian evidence. VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 14(4), 421–430. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:VOLU.0000007467.74816.a4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brindle, D. (2018). Oxfam scandal is a body blow for the whole UK charity sector. Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/voluntary-sector-network/2018/feb/13/oxfam-scandal-body-blow-uk-charity-sector-sport-relief. Accessed 6 July 2018.
- Burnett, K. (1992). Relationship fundraising. London: White Lion Press.Google Scholar
- Carolei, D. (2018). How is Oxfam being held accountable over the Haiti scandal? British Politics and Policy at LSE. http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/89096/1/politicsandpolicy-how-is-oxfam-being-held-accountable-over-the-haiti.pdf. Accessed 3 July 2018.
- Cave, J. (2016). A shifting sector: Emerging trends for Canada’s nonprofits in 2016. The Philanthropist. http://thephilanthropist.ca/2016/01/a-shifting-sector-emerging-trends-for-canadas-nonprofits-in-2016/. Accessed 2 Dec 2017.
- Charities Aid Foundation. (2018). CAF UK Giving 2018: An overview of charitable giving in the UK [PDF document]. Kent. https://www.cafonline.org/docs/default-source/about-us-publications/caf-uk-giving-2018-report.pdf. Accessed 6 July 2018
- Coleman, J. S. (1990). Foundations of social theory. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Coyne, A. (2017). Take the politics out of charity? Far better to just cancel the tax break. National Post. http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-take-the-politics-out-of-charity-far-better-to-just-cancel-the-tax-break. Accessed 14 Mar 2017.
- Donovan, K. (2007). Charity scams bust public trust. The Star. https://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/2007/06/02/charity_scams_bust_public_trust.html. Accessed 10 July 2017.
- Ebrahim, A., & Weisband, E. (Eds.). (2007). Global accountabilities: Participation, pluralism, and public ethics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Emmett, B., & Emmett, G. (2015). Charities in Canada as an Economic Sector [PDF document]. Toronto, CA. http://www.imaginecanada.ca/sites/default/files/imaginecanada_charities_in_canada_as_an_economic_sector_2015-06-22.pdf. Accessed 5 June 2017.
- Furneaux, C., & Wymer, W. (2015). Public trust in Australian charities: Accounting for cause and effect. Third Sector Review, 21(2), 99–127.Google Scholar
- Giving USA. (2017). The Annual Report on Philanthropy for the Year 2016. Chicago: Giving USA Foundation.Google Scholar
- Grønbjerg, K. A. (2009). Are nonprofits trustworthy? Bloomington: Indiana Nonprofit Sector: Scope and Community Dimensions. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/8f49/b7cd608b841af771989b8707b73d4f0cbf32.pdf. Accessed 25 June 2017.
- Grønbjerg, K. A., McGiverin-Bohan, K., Gallagher, A., Dula, L., & Miller, R. (2016). Briefing series: Indiana government officials and trust in nonprofits. Bloomington: Indiana Nonprofit Sector: Scope and Community Dimensions.Google Scholar
- Hall, M. H., Barr, C. W., Easwaramoorthy, M., Sokolowski, S. W., & Salamon, L. M. (2005). The Canadian Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector in Comparative Perspective [PDF document]. Toronto: Imagine Canada. http://sectorsource.ca/sites/default/files/resources/files/jhu_report_en.pdf. Accessed 24 June 2017.
- Hansmann, H. (1996). The ownership of enterprise. Cambridge, MA: The Belknap Press.Google Scholar
- Herzlinger, R. E. (1996). Can public trust in nonprofits and governments be restored? Harvard Business Review, 74(2), 97–107.Google Scholar
- Hillier, A. (2018). Oxfam: A crisis to end all crises. Third Sector. https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/oxfam-crisis-end-crises/communications/article/1459831. Accessed 10 July 2018.
- Imagine Canada. (2010). Bill C-470: Twelve frequently asked questions [PDF document]. Toronto, CA: Imagine Canada. http://www.imaginecanada.ca/sites/default/files/c-470_top12_faq_en.pdf. Accessed 4 Feb 2017.
- Independent Sector. (2016). United for charity: How Americans trust and value the charitable sector [PDF document]. https://www.independentsector.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/United-for-Charity-v5.pdf. Accessed 9 June 2017.
- Keirouz, K. S. (1998). Public perceptions and confidence in Indiana nonprofit organizations. Indianapolis: Indiana University Center of Philanthropy.Google Scholar
- Kline, R. B (2011). Principles and practice of structural equation modelling (3rd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Lasby, D., & Barr, C. (2013). Talking about charities 2013: Canadians’ opinions on charities and issues affecting charities [PDF document]. Edmonton. https://www.muttart.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/3.-Talking-About-Charities-Full-Report-2013.pdf. Accessed 18 June 2017.
- Light, P. C. (2008). How Americans view charities: A report on charitable confidence, 2008 [PDF document]. Washington, DC. https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/faculty/publications/04_nonprofits_light.pdf. Accessed 2 Dec 2017.
- Muthén, L. K., & Muthén, B. O. (1998–2012). Mplus user’s guide (7th edn.). Los Angeles: Muthén and Muthén.Google Scholar
- Newport, F. (2017). Americans’ confidence in institutions edges up. Gallup. https://news.gallup.com/poll/212840/americans-confidence-institutions-edges.aspx. Accessed 7 July 2018.
- Nye, J. S., Zelikow, P. D., & King, D. C. (Eds.). (1997). Why people don’t trust government. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Putnam, R. D. (2000). Bowling alone: The collapse and revival of American community. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Ries, T. E., Bershoff, D. M., Adkins, S., Armstrong, C., & Bruening, J. (2018). 2018 Edelman Trust Barometer Trust Barometer: Global Report [PDF document]. New York. https://cms.edelman.com/sites/default/files/2018-01/2018%20Edelman%20Trust%20Barometer%20Global%20Report.pdf. Accessed 10 July 2018.
- Rimington, J. (2018). Five tips to avoid a scandal like Oxfam Great Britain’s. Stanford Social Innovation Review. https://ssir.org/articles/entry/five_tips_to_avoid_a_scandal_like_oxfam_great_britain. Accessed 9 July 2018.
- Rutley, R., & Stephens, I. (2017). Public Trust And Confidence in Australian Charities. http://www.acnc.gov.au/ACNC/Publications/Reports/Public_Trust_2017.aspx.
- Salamon, L. M. (2012). The resilient sector. In L. M. Salamon (Ed.), The state of nonprofit America. (2nd ed., pp. 3–88) Washington, DC: Brookings Institution.Google Scholar
- Shier, M. L., & Handy, F. (2013). Understanding online donor behavior: the role of donor characteristics, perceptions of the internet, website and program, and influence from social networks. International Journal of Nonprofit & Voluntary Sector Marketing, 17(3), 219–230. https://doi.org/10.1002/nvsm.1425.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smith, S. R., & Lipsky, M. (1993). Nonprofits for hire: The welfare state in the age of contracting. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Turcotte, M. (2015). Volunteering and charitable giving in Canada [PDF document]. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-652-x/89-652-x2015001-eng.pdf. Accessed 25 June 2017.
- Wilson, M., & Hegarty, N. (1997). Public perceptions of nonprofit organizations in Michigan. Lansing: Institute for Public Policy and Social Research.Google Scholar