Eco-Storage: A Hybrid Storage System with Energy-Efficient Informed Prefetching
- 365 Downloads
In this paper, we present an energy-aware informed prefetching technique called Eco-Storage that makes use of the application-disclosed access patterns to group the informed prefetching process in a hybrid storage system (e.g., hard disk drive and solid state disks). Since the SSDs are more energy efficient than HDDs, aggressive prefetching for the data in the HDD level enables it to have as much standby time as possible in order to save power. In the Eco-Storage system, the application can still read its on-demand I/O reading requests from the hybrid storage system while the data blocks are prefetched in groups from HDD to SSD. We show that these two steps can be handled in parallel to decreases the system’s power consumption. Our Eco-Storage technique differs from existing energy-aware prefetching schemes in two ways. First, Eco-Storage is implemented in a hybrid storage system where the SDD level is more energy efficient. Second, it can group the informed prefetching process and quickly prefetch the data from the HDD to the SSD to increase the frequent HDD standby times. This will makes the application finds most of its on-demand I/O reading requests in the SSD level. Finally, we develop a simulator to evaluate our Eco-Storage system performance. Our results show that our Eco-Storage reduces the power consumption by at least 75 % when compared with the worst case of non-Eco-Storage case using a real-world I/O trace.
KeywordsInformed prefetching Power consumption Parallel storage systems Hybrid storage system
This work was discussed with my colleagues in Dr. Xiao Qin’s research group. I really thank them very much.
- 1.Al Assaf, M. M. Informed prefetching in distributed multi-level storage systems, http://hdl.handle.net/10415/2935.
- 2.Al Assaf, M. M., Al Ghamadi, M., Jiang, X., Zhang, J., Qin, X. (2012). A pipelining approach to informed prefetching in distributed multi-level storage systems. 11th IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA). Cambridge.Google Scholar
- 3.Patterson, R. H., Gibson, G., Stodolsky, D., Zelenka, J. (1995). Informed prefetching and caching. In Proceedings of the 15th ACM symposium on operating system principles (pp. 79–95). CO.Google Scholar
- 4.Griffioen, J., & Appleton, R. (1994). Reducing file system latency using a predictive approach. In Proceedings of the 1994 USENIX annual technical conference (pp. 197–207). Berkeley.Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, Z., Lee, K., Ma, X., Zhou, Y. (2008). PFC: Transparent optimization of existing prefetching strategies for multi-level storage systems. In Proceedings of 28th international conference on distributed computing system (pp. 740–751). Beijing.Google Scholar
- 6.Huizinga, M., & Desai, D. S. (2000). Implementation of informed prefetching and caching in linux. In Proceedings of the international conference on information technology (pp. 443–448). Las Vegas.Google Scholar
- 8.Tomkins, A., Patterson, R. H., Gibson, G. (1997). Informed multi-process prefetching and caching. In Proceedings of the 1997 ACM SIGMETRICS international conference on measurement and modeling of computer systems (pp. 100–114). Seattle.Google Scholar
- 9.Chang, F., & Gibson, G. A. (February 1999). Automatic I/O hint generation through speculative execution. Proceedings of the third symposium on operating systems design and implementation (pp. 1–14). New Orleans.Google Scholar
- 10.Patterson, R. H., Gibson, G. A., Satyanarayanan, M. (1992). Using transparent informed prefetching (TIP) to reduce file read latency. In Proceedings of conference on mass storage systems and technologie (pp. 329–342). Greenbelt.Google Scholar
- 11.Jason, F. (2002). Multi-level memory prefetching for media and stream processing. In IEEE international conference on multimedia and expo (pp. 101–104). St. Louis.Google Scholar
- 12.Kang, J., & Sung, W. (2001). A multi-level block priority based instruction caching scheme for multimedia processors. In Proceedings of the 24th international conference on distributed computer systems (pp. 125–132). Antwerp.Google Scholar
- 13.Nijim, M. (2010). Modelling speculative prefetching for hybrid storage systems. In 2010 IEEE fifth international conference on networking, architecture and storage (NAS) (pp. 143–151). Macau.Google Scholar
- 14.Nijim, M., Zong, Z., Qin, X., Nijim, Y. Multi-layer prefetching for hybrid storage systems: Algorithms, models, and evaluations. In 2010 39th international conference on parallel processing workshops.Google Scholar
- 15.Kimbrel, T., Cao, P., Felten, E., Karlin, A., Li, K. (1996). Integrated parallel prefetching and caching. Proceedings of the 1996 ACM SIGMETRICS international conference on measurement and modeling of computer systems (pp. 262–263). PA.Google Scholar
- 16.Patterson, R. H., & Gibson, G. (1994). Exposing I/O concurrency with informed prefetching. Proceedings of the third international conference on on Parallel and distributed information systems (pp. 7–16). Austin.Google Scholar
- 17.Chen, Y., Byna, S., Sun, X., Thakur, R., Gropp, W. (2008). Exploring parallel I/O concurrency with speculative prefetching. Proceedings of the 2008 37th international conference on parallel processing (pp. 422–429). Portland.Google Scholar
- 18.Lewis, J., Alghamdi, M. I., Assaf, M. A., Ruan, X. -J., Ding, Z. -Y., Qin, X. (2010). An automatic prefetching and caching system. In Proceedings of the 29th international performance computing and communications conference (IPCCC).Google Scholar
- 19.Chen, Y., Byna, S., Sun, X., Thakur, R., Gropp, W. (2008). Hiding I/O latency with pre-execution prefetching for parallel applications. Proceedings of the 2008 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing (pp. 1–10). Austin.Google Scholar
- 20.Byna, S., Chen, Y., Sun, X. -H., Thakur, R., Gropp, W. (2008 November 15). Parallel I/O prefetching using MPI file caching and I/O signatures. Proceedings of the 2008 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing. Austin.Google Scholar
- 21.Borthakur, D. (2008). HDFS architecture. The Apache Software Foundation. http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.0/hdfs_design.pdf.
- 22.Shafer, J., Rixner, S., Cox, A. L. (March 2010). The Hadoop distributed filesystem: balancing portability and performance. IEEE International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems & Software (ISPASS) (pp. 122–133). White Plains.Google Scholar
- 25.Mishra, S. K., & Mohapatra, P. (1996). Performance study of RAID-5 disk arrays with data and parity cache. Proceedings of 1996 international conference on parallel processing (pp. 222–229). Ithaca.Google Scholar
- 26.Baek, S.H., et al. (2001). Reliability and performance of hierarchical RAID with multiple controllers. Proceedings of twentieth annual ACM symposium on principles of distributed computing (pp. 246–254).Google Scholar
- 27.Meador, W. (1989). Disk array systems. Proceedings of COMPCON Spring ’89. Thirty-Fourth IEEE Computer Society International Conference, pp. 143–146. San Francisco, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- 28.Hou, R., Menon, J., Patt, Y. (1993). Balancing I/O response time and disk rebuild time in a RAID5 disk array. Proceedings of on systems sciences (pp. 70–79).Google Scholar
- 29.Drapeau, A., & Katz, R. (1993). Striped tape arrays. In Proceedings of 12th IEEE symposium on mass storage systems.Google Scholar
- 30.Yang, C. K., Mitra, T., Chiueh, T. (2002). A decoupled architecture for application-specific file prefetching. In Freenix track of USENIX 2002 annual conference.Google Scholar
- 31.Tuma, W. (2008). Comparison of drive technologies for high transaction databases. Storage developer conference. Santa Clara. www.storage-developer.org.
- 33.Hadoop Archive Guide. http://hadoop.apache.org/mapreduce/docs/r0.21.0/hadoop_archives.html.
- 34.Papathanasiou, A.E., & Scott, M.L. (June 27–July 02 2004). Energy efficient prefetching and caching. Proceedings of the annual conference on USENIX annual technical conference (pp.22–22). Boston.Google Scholar
- 36.Lasr trace machine01. http://iotta.snia.org/traces/list/Subtrace?parent=LASR+Traces.
- 37.Lasr trace machine06. http://iotta.snia.org/traces/list/Subtrace?parent=LASR+Traces.
- 38.Western Digital HDD vendor specifications’ document. http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771438.pdf.
- 39.Intel SSD vendor specifications’ document. http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-320-specification.html.
- 40.OCZ Technology Group, Inc SSD vs HDD comparison. http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssdzone/ssd-vs-hdd-comparison.html.