Physical Layer Development Framework for OsmocomBB
- 664 Downloads
The open source GSM protocol stack of the OsmocomBB project offers a versatile development environment regarding the data link and network layer. There is no solution available for developing physical layer baseband algorithms in combination with the data link and network layer. In this paper, a baseband development framework architecture with a suitable interface to the protocol stack of OsmocomBB is presented. With the proposed framework, a complete GSM protocol stack can be run and baseband algorithms can be evaluated in a closed system. It closes the gap between physical layer signal processing implementations in Matlab and the upper layers of the OsmocomBB GSM protocol stack. An embedded version of the system has been realized with FPGA and PowerPC to enable real-time operation. The functionality of the system has been verified with a testbed comprising an OpenBTS base-station emulator, a receiver board with RF transceiver and our developed physical layer signal processing system.
KeywordsBaseband signal processing Physical layer hardware architectures OsmocomBB GSM protocol stack L1CTL messages
We would like to thank Dominic Just and Pirmin Vogel for their valuable work during their student projects and Raphael Rolny for this consultation regarding user cooperation. We thank ACP AG for providing us the IRIS305 single-chip RF transceiver for our testbed setup. In addition, we want to thank David Tschopp and Dominik Riha for their support on the receiver board. This work was funded by CTI, Switzerland, in collaboration with ACP AG.
- 1.Kröll, H., Benkeser, C., Zwicky, S., Weber, B., Huang, Q. (2012). Baseband signal processing framework for the OsmocomBB GSM Protocol Stack. In Wireless innovation forum European conference on communication technologies and software defined radio. Brussles, Belgium.Google Scholar
- 2.OsmocomBB (2012). An Open Source GSM Baseband software implementation. http://bb.osmocombb.org.
- 3.Chang, L.F., & Wang, Y. (2009). EDGE incremental redundancy memory structure and memory management. US Patent App (Vol. 12, 507, p. 835).Google Scholar
- 4.3GPP TR 44.060 (2009). General packet radio service (GPRS); mobile station (MS)—base station system (BSS) interface; radio link control / medium access control (RLC/MAC) protocol. December.Google Scholar
- 5.Seurre, E., Savelli, P., Pietri, P.J. (2003). EDGE for mobile internet. Norwood: Artech House Publishers.Google Scholar
- 7.3GPP TR 45.001. GSM/EDGE radio access network; physical layer on the radio path; general description, November 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.GSM/EDGE layer 1; general requirements, December 2009.Google Scholar
- 9.ISO/IEC 13239. Information technology telecommunications and information exchange between systems high-level data link control (HDLC) procedures, July 2002.Google Scholar
- 10.3GPP TR 43.022. Functions related to mobile station (MS) in idle mode and group receive mode, December 2009.Google Scholar
- 11.3GPP TR 45.008. GSM/EDGE radio access network; radio subsystem link control, November 2009.Google Scholar
- 12.Kröll, H., Zwicky, S., Benkeser, C., Huang, Q., Burg, A. (2012). Low-complexity frequency synchronization for GSM systems: Algorithms ad implementation. In IV international congress on ultra modern telecommunications and control systems 2012 (ICUMT 2012) (pp. 175–180). St. Petersburg, Russia.Google Scholar
- 13.Tufts, D.W., & Fiore, P.D. (1996). Simple, effective estimation of frequency based on Prony’s method. In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on acoustics, speech, and signal processing (ICASSP) (Vol. 5, pp. 2801–2804).Google Scholar
- 14.Yakhnich, E. (2001). Channel estimation for EGPRS modems. In Vehicular technology conference, 2001. VTC 2001 spring. IEEE VTS 53rd (Vol. 1, pp. 419–422). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 15.Gerstacker, W.H., Obernosterer, F., Meyer, R., Huber, J.B. (2000). An efficient method for prefilter computation for reduced-state equalization. In Personal, indoor and mobile radio communications, 2000. PIMRC 2000. The 11th IEEE international symposium on (Vol. 1, pp. 604–609). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 16.Proakis, J.G. (1987). Digital communications. McGraw-hill.Google Scholar
- 18.OpenBTS. http://openbts.sourceforge.net, cited July 2012.
- 19.Orebaugh, A., Ramirez, G., Burke, J. (2007). Wireshark & ethereal network protocol analyzer toolkit. Syngress Media Inc.Google Scholar