A Novel Dynamic and Scalable Caching Algorithm of Proxy Server for Multimedia Objects
- 87 Downloads
This paper presents a novel dynamic and scalable caching algorithm of proxy server with a finite storage size for multimedia objects. Among the multimedia such as text, image, audio and video, video is a dominant component in terms of the performance of proxy server due to its traffic characteristics. For the fast caching process, caching sequences for videos are obtained to decrease both the buffer size and the required bandwidth and saved into metafiles in advance. Then, we present a novel caching and replacing algorithms for multimedia objects based on the metafiles. Finally, experimental results are provided to show the superior performance of the proposed algorithm.
Keywordsproxy server caching multimedia network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.ISO/IEC 13818 (MPEG-2): Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information, 1994, (Nov.).Google Scholar
- 4.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, “Overview of the MPEG-4 standard,” ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 N4030, 2001.Google Scholar
- 5.ITU-T Recommendation H.261: Video Codec Audiovisual Service at p*64 kbps, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.ITU-T Recommendation H.263 version 2, “Video Coding for Low Bitrate Communication,” 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.Joint Video Team of ISO/IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, JVT-G050, “Draft ITU-T Recommendation and Final Draft International Standard of Joint Video Specification (ITU-T Rec. H.264/ISO/IEC 14 496-10 AVC),” 2003.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Robinson and M. Devarakonda, “Data Cache Management Using Frequency-Based Replacement,” in Proceeding of the ACM SIGMETRICS Conference on the Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, 1990, pp. 134–142.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Williams, M. Abrams, C. Standridge, G. Abdulla, and E. Fox, “Removal Policies in Network Caches for World-Wide Web Documents,” in Proceeding of ACM SIGCOMM, 1996, pp. 293–305.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Sen, J. Rexford, and D. Towsley, “Proxy Prefix Caching for Multimedia Streams,” in Proc. IEEE Infocom 99, New York, USA, 1999.Google Scholar
- 19.C. C. Aggarwal, J. L. Wolf, and P. S. Yu, “On Optimal Batching Policies for Video-On-Demand Storage Server,” in Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, 1996.Google Scholar
- 20.Video Traces Research Group, http://trace.eas.asu.edu/.