Genetic diversity of bovine Picobirnavirus, Brazil
- 160 Downloads
Picobirnaviruses (PBVs) are emerging and opportunistic viruses with possible zoonotic potential. In this study, we present the detection, molecular characterization, and genotypic differentiation of PBVs from genogroup I in bovine stool samples from different Brazilian regions. A high proportion of PCR-positive samples (23.4%) was detected in a total of 77 analyzed. Nucleotide identity, alignment, and phylogenetic analyses revealed high diversity among the studied sequences. The results obtained indicate, for the first time, the circulation of bovine PBVs belonging to genogroup I in different Brazilian states, with heterogeneous phylogenetic-clustering profiles.
KeywordsBovine picobirnavirus Molecular diagnostics Bovine viral diseases Animal RNA virus Molecular epidemiology
This research was funded by the Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP, Nos. 2006/52060-3 and 2012/18441-0) and Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq, No. 472509/2010-1).
JON, MC, SRAQ, MGB, MCL, and RLMS conceived and designed the experiments. JON and MC performed the experiments. JON, MC, SRAQ, and RLMS analyzed the data. JON, MC, and RLMS wrote the manuscript. AMF participated in revising the manuscript. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
- 2.Takiuchi E, Macedo R, Kunz AF, Gallego JC, de Mello JL, Otonel RA, Alfieri AA (2016) Electrophoretic RNA genomic profiles of Brazilian Picobirnavirus (PBV) strains and molecular characterization of a PBV isolated from diarrheic calf. Virus Res 211:58–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2015.09.022 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ganesh B, Nagashima S, Ghosh S, Nataraju SM, Rajendran K, Manna B et al (2011) Detection and molecular characterization of multiple strains of picobirnavirus causing mixed infection in a diarrhoeic child: emergence of prototype genogroup II-like strain in Kolkata, India. Int J Mol Epidemiol Genet 2:61–72PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Ghosh S, Kobayashi N, Nagashima S, Naik TN (2009) Molecular characterization of full-length genomic segment 2 of a bovine picobirnavirus (PBV) strain: evidence for high genetic diversity with genogroup I PBVs. J Gen Virol 90:2519–2524. https://doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.013987-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41, 95–98Google Scholar
- 24.IBGE - Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (2017) https://www.ibge.gov.br/. Accessed 24 Nov 2017