Urban High School Students’ Experiences in an Afterschool College Readiness Program
- 1.8k Downloads
This transcendental phenomenological investigation examined urban students’ experiences in Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP), an afterschool college readiness program. The federally funded program provides low-income and minority students information and access to services that lead to increased opportunities for post-secondary education. Interviews with 10 participants revealed that (a) navigating the college system; (b) expansion of career options; (c) counseling relationship; (d) personal insight; and (e) future orientation were major themes. Implications for school counselor preparation and practice are discussed.
KeywordsUrban students College readiness School counselors
- American School Counselor Association. (2010). ASCA National Standards for Students. Alexandria, VA: Author.Google Scholar
- Couturier, R. G., & Cunningham, A. F. (2006). Convergence: Trends threatening to narrow college opportunity in America. Washington, DC: The Institute for Higher Education Policy.Google Scholar
- Creswell, J. W. (2007). Qualitative inquiry and research design (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Lincoln, Y. S., & Guba, E. G. (1985). Naturalistic inquiry. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Moustakas, C. (1994). Phenomenological research methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- National Center for Educational Statistics. (2006). The Condition of Education 2006. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education.Google Scholar
- National Center for Educational Statistics. (2007). Educational longitudinal study of 2002 (ELS:2002); A first look the initial postsecondary experiences of the high school sophomore class of 2002. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education.Google Scholar
- Patton, M. Q. (2002). Qualitative research and evaluation methods (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Schultheiss, P. D. E. (2005). University-urban school collaboration in school counseling. Professional School Counseling, 8(4), 330–336. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=16892533&site=ehost-live&scope=site.