A care bundle to improve perioperative mitomycin use in non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer
- 85 Downloads
Intravesical chemotherapy administered within 24 h of the first resection of non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) reduces recurrence rates and prolongs recurrence-free intervals. However, there is considerable variation in the use of intravesical chemotherapy amongst urologists. In our hospital, we use mitomycin C (MMC), and our usage was inconsistent. Therefore, we devised a care bundle to improve MMC usage. The objective of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of the care bundle on postoperative MMC use.
We measured baseline postoperative MMC use during the first quarter of 2013. In 2014, we implemented a care bundle by changing MMC delivery, through computer-based clinical information systems and repeated training of key stakeholders. We studied the performance of the bundle through snapshot audits in the last quarter of 2014, a 6-month period in the middle of 2015 and again in the final quarter of 2016.
We observed an increase in intravesical chemotherapy usage after implementing the care bundle. Instillation rates in our samples increased from 46% (6/13), in 2013 to 89% (8/9), in 2014, 90% (9/10), in 2015 and 100% (12/12), in 2016.
Compliance rates of intravesical chemotherapy in NMIBC can improve by devising care bundles to modify team behaviour.
KeywordsCare bundle Non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer Chemotherapy Mitomycin C Intravesical instillation
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed on human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and national research committee and with the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
This was a retrospective study with anonymised data, not requiring informed consent.
- 3.Tolley DA, Parmar MK, Grigor KM, Lallemand G, Benyon LL, Fellows J, Freedman LS, Grigor KM, Hall RR, Hargreave TB, Munson K, Newling DW, Richards B, Robinson MR, Rose MB, Smith PH, Williams JL, Whelan P (1996) The effect of intravesical mitomycin C on recurrence of newly diagnosed superficial bladder cancer: a further report with 7 years of follow up. J Urol 155:1233–1238CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Perlis N, Zlotta AR, Beyene J, Finelli A, Fleshner NE, Kulkarni GS (2013) Immediate post-transurethral resection of bladder tumor intravesical chemotherapy prevents non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer recurrences: an updated meta-analysis on 2548 patients and quality-of-evidence review. Eur Urol 64(3):421–430. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2013.06.009 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.De Nunzio C, Carbone A, Albisinni S, Alpi G, Cantiani A, Liberti M, Tubaro A, Iori F (2011) Long-term experience with early single mitomycin C instillations in patients with low-risk non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: prospective, single-centre randomised trial. World J Urol 29:517–521CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Sylvester RJ, Oosterlinck W, van der Meijden AP (2004) A single immediate postoperative instillation of chemotherapy decreases the risk of recurrence in patients with stage Ta T1 bladder cancer: a meta-analysis of published results of randomized clinical trials. J Urol 171:2186–2190CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Babjuk M, Burger M, Zigeuner R, Shariat SF, van Rhijn BW, Compérat E, Sylvester RJ, Kaasinen E, Böhle A, Palou Redorta J, Rouprêt M, European Association of Urology (2013) EAU guidelines on non-muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: update 2013. Eur Urol 64:639–653CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Brausi M, Witjes JA, Lamm D, Persad R, Palou J, Colombel M, Buckley R, Soloway M, Akaza H, Böhle A (2011) A review of current guidelines and best practice recommendations for the management of nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer by the International Bladder Cancer Group. J Urol 186:2158–2167CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Madeb R, Golijanin D, Noyes K, Fisher S, Stephenson JJ, Long SR, Knopf J, Lyman GH, Messing EM (2009) Treatment of nonmuscle invading bladder cancer: do physicians in the United States practice evidence based medicine? The use and economic implications of intravesical chemotherapy after transurethral resection of bladder tumors. Cancer 115:2660–2670. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24311 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Resar R, Griffin FA, Haraden C, Nolan TW (2012) Using care bundles to improve health care quality. IHI Innovation Series white paper. Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Cambridge. www.IHI.org
- 17.Stroman L, Tschobotko B, Abboudi H, Ellis D, Mensah E, Kaneshayogan H, Mazaris E (2016) Improving compliance with a single post-operative dose of intravesical chemotherapy after transurethral resection of bladder tumour. Nephrourol Mon 8:e29967. https://doi.org/10.5812/numonthly.29967 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Neuzillet Y, Colin P, Comperat E, Dubosq F, Houede N, Larre S, Masson-Lecomte A, Pignot G, Puech P, Roumiguie M, Xylinas E, Mejean A, Roupret M (2016) Observational survey of the French Urological Association Oncology Committee (CCAFU) evaluating the practice of immediate postoperative instillation (IPOP) using mitomycin C for non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) treatment. Prog Urol 26:181–190CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Chang SS, Boorjian SA, Chou R, Clark PE, Daneshmand S, Konety BR, Pruthi R, Quale DZ, Ritch CR, Seigne JD, Skinner EC, Smith ND, McKiernan JM (2016) Diagnosis and treatment of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: AUA/SUO guideline. J Urol 196(4):1021–1029. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2016.06.049 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Babjuk M, Burger M, Comperat E, Gontero P, Mostafid AH, Palou J, van Rhijn BWG, Roupret M, Shariat SF, Sylvester R, Zigeuner R (2017) Non-muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer. European Association of Urology Guidelines. http://uroweb.org/guideline/non-muscle-invasive-bladder-cancer/. Accessed 04 March 2018
- 26.Sylvester RJ, Oosterlinek W, Holmang S, Sydes MR, Birtle A, Gudjonsson S, De Nunzio C, Okamura K, Kaasinen E, Solsona E, Ali-El-Dein B, Tatar CA, Inman BA, N’Dow J, Oddens JR, Babjuk M (2016) Systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis of randomised trials comparing a single immediate instillation of chemotherapy after transurethral resection with transurethral resection alone in patients with stage pTa-pT1 urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: which patients benefit from the instillation? Eur Urol 69:23–244CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Bosschieter J, Nieuwenhuijzen JA, van Ginkel T, Vis AN, Witte B, Newling D, Beckers GMA, van Moorselaar RJA (2018) Value of an immediate intravesical instillation of mitomycin C in patients with non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a prospective multicentre randomised study in 2243 patients. Eur Urol 73:226–232CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar