Silymarin and celecoxib ameliorate experimental varicocele-induced pathogenesis: evidences for oxidative stress and inflammation inhibition
The present study was done to investigate the ameliorative effect of silymarin (SMN) and celecoxib (CEL) on varicocele (VCL)-induced detrimental impact in testicular tissue.
Mature Wistar rats were divided into control and test groups. Following VCL induction, the animals in test group were subdivided into non-treated VCL-induced, SMN-treated (50 mg/kg, orally), CEL-treated (10 mg/kg) and SMN + CEL-treated groups. Following 60 days, testicular total antioxidant capacity (TAC), malondialdehyde (MDA), nitric oxide (NO), superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-px), total thiol molecules (TTM), mRNA and protein levels of COX2 and mRNA level of iNos were analyzed. Moreover, the germinal cells apoptosis and mRNA damage were examined.
Observations revealed that co-administration of SMN and CEL significantly (P < 0.05) up-regulated TAC, SOD, GSH-px and TTM levels and resulted in a remarkable (P < 0.05) reduction in iNos and COX2 expression, NO and MDA contents. The animals in SMN + CEL-treated group exhibited significantly (P < 0.05) lower number of apoptotic cells and cells with mRNA damage per one mm2.
The SMN by up-regulating testicular TAC, SOD, GSH-px and TTM levels and the CEL by inhibiting COX2 and iNos expression as well as NO content could fairly ameliorate the VCL-decreased spermatogenesis.
KeywordsVaricocele COX2 iNos Oxidative stress Testis
The authors wish to thank Department of Comparative Histology and Embryology for technical support and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University. Moreover, current manuscript is obtained from thesis no: 1408, which is proofed by Urmia University. Moreover, this research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there are no conflicts of interest.
- 10.Winnall WR, Ali U, O’Bryan MK, Hirst JJ, Whiley PA, Muir JA, Hedger MP (2007) Constitutive expression of prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2 by somatic and spermatogenic cells is responsible for prostaglandin E2 production in the adult rat testis. Biol Reprod 76(5):759–768CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Perrotta I, Santoro M, Guido C, Avena P, Tripepi S, De Amicis F, Gervasi MC, Aquila S (2012) Expression of cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) and COX-2 in human male gametes from normal patients, and those with varicocele and diabetes: a potential molecular marker for diagnosing male infertility disorders. J Anat 221(3):209–220CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Steinbach G, Lynch PM, Phillips RK, Wallace MH, Hawk E, Gordon GB, Wakabayashi N, Saunders B, Shen Y, Fujimura T, Su LK, Levin B, Godio L, Patterson S, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Jester SL, King KL, Schumacher M, Abbruzzese J, DuBois RN, Hittelman WN, Zimmerman S, Sherman JW, Kelloff G (2000) The effect of celecoxib, a cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor, in familial adenomatous polyposis. N Engl J Med 342(26):1946–1952CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Ninomiya I, Nagai N, Oyama K, Hayashi H, Tajima H, Kitagawa H, Fushida S, Fujimura T, Ohta T (2012) Antitumor and anti-metastatic effects of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition by celecoxib on human colorectal carcinoma xenografts in nude mouse rectum. Oncol Rep 28(3):777–784CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Pogorelic Z, Sopta M, Jukic M, Nevescanin A, Juric I, Furlan D (2017) Laparoscopic varicocelectomy using polymeric ligating clips and its effect on semen parameters in pediatric population with symptomatic varicocele: A 5-year single surgeon experience. J Lapar Adv Surg Tech 27:1318–1325CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Sofikitis N, Miyagawa I (1993) Experimental models for the study of varicocele. Jpn J Fertil Steril 38:168Google Scholar
- 41.Khosravanian H, Razi M, Farokhi F, Khosravanian N (2015) Simultaneous administration of dexamethasone and vitamin E reversed experimental varicocele-induced impact in testicular tissue in rats; correlation with Hsp70-2 chaperone expression. Int Braz J Urol Off J Braz Soc Urol 41(4):773–790CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.Lue Y, Wang C, Liu YX, Hikim AP, Zhang XS, Ng CM, Hu ZY, Li YC, Leung A, Swerdloff RS (2006) Transient testicular warming enhances the suppressive effect of testosterone on spermatogenesis in adult cynomolgus monkeys (Macaca fascicularis). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91(2):539–545CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 60.Balderas E, Sánchez-Cárdenas C, Chávez JC, de la Vega Beltrán JL, Gómez-Lagunas F, Treviño CL, Darszon A (2013) The anti-inflammatory drug celecoxib inhibits T-type Ca2+ currents in spermatogenic cells yet it elicits the acrosome reaction in mature sperm. FEBS Lett 587(15):2412–2419CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar