Beneficial effect of aliskiren combined with olmesartan in reducing urinary protein excretion in patients with chronic kidney disease
Blockade of the renin–angiotensin–aldosterone system is a therapeutic mainstay in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD). However, the renoprotective effect of the novel direct renin inhibitor aliskiren is unknown.
Materials and methods
We performed a prospective study in 10 CKD patients. All 10 patients with persistent proteinuria (urinary protein-to-creatinin ratio 0.3–3.5 g/g), despite good blood pressure control (<130/80 mmHg) with olmesartan, were started on 150 mg/day aliskiren. Clinical parameters were examined before and after 4, 8, 12, and 16 weeks of treatment.
Urinary protein-to-creatinine ratio significantly decreased by about 40% at 16 weeks from baseline (P = 0.0002), although estimated glomerular filtration rate and blood pressure did not change throughout the study period. Plasma renin activity also decreased significantly from baseline (P = 0.019), although plasma aldosterone concentration did not change.
Aliskiren combined with olmesartan reduces proteinuria in CKD patients.
KeywordsAliskiren Chronic kidney disease Olmesartan Proteinuria
- 1.Jafar TH, Schmid CH, Landa M, Giatras I, Toto R, Remuzzi G, Maschio G, Brenner BM, Kamper A, Zucchelli P, Becker G, Himmelmann A, Bannister K, Landais P, Shahinfar S, de Jong PE, de Zeeuw D, Lau J, Levey AS (2001) Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and progression of nondiabetic renal disease. A meta-analysis of patient-level data. Ann Intern Med 135:73–87PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Persson F, Rossing P, Reinhard H, Juhl T, Stehouwer CDA, Schalkwijk C, Danser AHJ, Boomsam F, Frandsen E, Parving HH (2009) Renal effcts of aliskiren compared with and in combination with irbesartan in patients with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and albuminuria. Diabetes Care 32:1873–1879PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Fisher ND, Jan Danser AHJ, Nussberger J, Dole WP, Hollenberg NK (2008) Renal and hormonal responses to direct reninin hibition with aliskiren in healthy humans. Hypertension 117:3199–3205Google Scholar
- 11.Mann JF, Schmieder RE, McQueen M, Dyal L, Schumacher H, Pogue J, Wang X, Maggioni A, Budaj A, Chaithiraphan S, Dickstein K, Keltai M, Metsärinne K, Oto A, Parkhomenko A, Piegas LS, Svendsen TL, Teo KK, Yusuf S, ONTARGET investigators (2008) Renal outcomes with telmisartan, ramipril, or both, in people at high vascular risk (the ONTARGET study): a multicentre, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial. Lancet 372:547–553PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Lewis EJ, Hunsicker LG, Clarke WR, Berl T, Pohl MA, Lewis JB, Ritz E, Atkins RC, Rohde R, Raz I, Collaborative Study Group (2001) Renoprotective effect of the angiotensin-receptor antagonist irbesartan in patients with nephropathy due to type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 345:851–860PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar