First-passage probabilities for randomly excited mechanical systems by a selective Monte-Carlo simulation method
- 21 Downloads
In this paper, Monte-Carlo methods used for the reliability assessment of structures under stochastic excitations are further advanced, e.g., by leading the generated samples towards the low probability range which is practically not assessable by direct Monte-Carlo methods. Based on criteria denoting the realizations that lead most likely to failure, a simulation technique called the “Russian Roulette and Splitting” (RR&S) is presented and discussed briefly. In a numerical example, the RR&S procedure is compared with the direct Monte-Carlo simulation method (MCS), demonstrating comparative accuracy.
KeywordsMechanical System Simulation Method Simulation Technique Reliability Assessment Comparative Accuracy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ditlevsen, O., Bjerager, 1986Structural SafetyElsevierAmsterdam195229Google Scholar
- 2.Shuëller, G. I. eds. 1989Proc. Workshop on “Reliability of Mechanical Components”VDI-GIS (ATZ)Düsseldorf[in German]Google Scholar
- 3.Pradlwarter, H. J., Shuëller, G. I. 1997On advanced Monte-Carlo simulation procedure in stochastic structural dynamicsInt. J. Non-Linear Mech.32735744Google Scholar
- 4.P. G. Mel’nik-Mel’nikov, E. S. Dekhtyaruk, and M. Labou, “Application of the “Russian Roulette and Splitting” simulation technique for the reliability assessment of mechanical systems,” Int. J. Strength Materials, No. 3, 131–138 (1997).Google Scholar
- 5.J. M. Hammersley and D. C. Handscomb, Monte-Carlo Methods, Norwich, Fletcher, Catalogue No. (Methuem) 12/5234/64.Google Scholar
- 6.Kahn, H. 1965Use of different Monte-Carlo sampling techniquesProc. Symp. Monte-Carlo MethodsWileyNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- 7.Asmussen, S., Rubinstein, R. 1995Steady-state rare events simulation in queueingCRC PressBoca Raton, FloridaGoogle Scholar
- 8.J. Spanier and E. M. Gelbard, Monte-Carlo Principles and Neutron Transport Problems, Addison-Wesley (1969).Google Scholar
- 9.Ariaratnam, S. T., Xie, W.-C. 1992Lyapunov exponents and stochastic stability of coupled linear systems under real noise excitationJ. Appl. Mech.59664673Google Scholar