A Novel Catalyst Type Containing Noble Metal Nanoparticles Supported on Mesoporous Carbon: Synthesis, Characterization and Catalytic Properties
- 200 Downloads
We report on a method for the controlled synthesis of a new type of high specific surface area mesoporous carbons denoted as the CMH family. By using mixtures of colloidal silica particles as templates it was possible to synthesize samples exhibiting 1,630 m2 g−1 specific surface area and 4.37 cm3 g−1 pore volume. CMH materials exhibit high thermal stability in oxygen and can be used as catalyst supports. This function was demonstrated by synthesizing Pt/CMH and Rh/CMH catalysts and testing them in the hydrogenation of cyclohexene. We have found Pt/CMH to be more stable and easier to regenerate than Rh/CMH.
KeywordsMetal nanoparticles Mesoporous carbons Catalytic hydrogenation
The authors gratefully thank Prof. Gabor A. Somorjai’s helpful discussion and comments. This work was supported by the Hungarian Research Fund OTKA K73676 and the FP6 STREP “SANES” (017310).
- 1.McNaught AD, Wilkinson A (1997) IUPAC compendium of chemical terminology. Royal Society of Chemistry, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 2.Robson H, Lillerud KP (2001) In: Robson H (ed) Verified syntheses of zeolitic materials. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 3.Jacobs PA, Martens JA (1987) Zeolites: synthesis of high-silica aluminosilicate zeolites. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 5.Jacobs PA (1977) Carboniogenic activity of zeolites. Elsevier, LeuvenGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kang S, Yu J-S, Kruk M, Jaroniec M (2002) Chem Commun 1670Google Scholar
- 17.Han S, Hyeon T (1999) Chem Commun 1955Google Scholar
- 31.Čížek Z, Borek P, Fiala J, Bogdain B (1990) Microchim Acta III:163Google Scholar