The effect of catalyst film thickness on the electrochemical promotion of ethylene oxidation on Pt
- 80 Downloads
The effect of catalyst film thickness on the magnitude of the effect of electrochemical promotion of catalysis (EPOC or NEMCA effect) was investigated for the model catalytic reaction of C2H4 oxidation on porous Pt paste catalyst-electrodes deposited on YSZ. It was found that the catalytic rate enhancement ρ is up to 400 for thinner (0.2 μm) Pt films (40,000% rate enhancement) and gradually decreases to 50 for thicker (1 μm) films. The results are in good qualitative agreement with model predictions describing the diffusion and reaction of the backspillover O2− species which causes electrochemical promotion.
Keywordselectrochemical promotion NEMCA effect porous film thickness effect ethylene oxidation promotional rules
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Foti, G., Wodiunig, S., Comninellis, C. 2001Curr. Top. Electrochem.71Google Scholar
- I. Metcalfe, J. Catal. 199 (2001) 247; J. Catal. 199 (2001) 259Google Scholar
- Douvartzides, S.L., Tsiakaras, P.E. 2002J. Catal.211521Google Scholar
- C. Sanchez and E. Leiva, in: Handbook of Fuel Cells: Fundamentals, Technology and Applications, Vol. 2, eds. W. Vielstich, H. Gasteiger and A. Lamm (John Wiley & Sons Ltd., England, 2003)Google Scholar
- Grzybowska-Swierkosz, B., Haber, J. 1994Annual Reports on the Progress of ChemistryThe Royal Society of ChemistryCambridgeGoogle Scholar
- C.G. Vayenas, M.M. Jaksic, S. Bebelis and S.G. Neophytides, in: Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry, Vol. 29, eds. J.O.M. Bockris, B.E. Conway and R.E. White (Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, 1996) p. 57Google Scholar
- Vayenas, C.G., Bebelis, S., Pliangos, C., Brosda, S., Tsiplakides, D. 2001Electrochemical Activation of Catalysis: Promotion, Electrochemical Promotion and Metal–Support InteractionsKluwer Academic/Plenum PublishersNew York references thereinGoogle Scholar
- Wieckowski, A.Savinova, E.Vayenas, C.G. eds. 2003Catalysis and Electrocatalysis at NanoparticlesMarcel Dekker, IncNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- J. Nicole et al., J. Catal. 204 (2001) 23Google Scholar
- N. Kotsionopoulos and S. Bebelis, Proc. of the 55th Annual Meeting of the ISE (Thessaloniki Greece, 2004) p. 1373; J. Appl. Electrochem., submitted (2004)Google Scholar
- Vayenas, C.G., Pitselis, G. 2001I&EC Res.404209Google Scholar