Selection Principle of Optimal Profiles for Immiscible Multi-Fluid Hele-Shaw Flows and Stabilization
- 180 Downloads
In this paper, we discuss a previously unknown selection principle of optimal viscous configurations for immiscible multi-fluid Hele-Shaw flows that have emerged from numerical experiments on three- and four-layer flows. Moreover, numerical investigation on four-layer flows shows evidence of four-layer systems which are almost completely stabilizing. Simple physical mechanisms that explain both of these findings are discussed.
KeywordsMulti-layer Hele-Shaw flow Porous media flow Enhanced oil recovery Linear stability Optimal viscous profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Darcy, H.: Les Fontaines Publiques de la ville de Dijon. Paris (1856)Google Scholar
- Daripa P.: Hydrodynamic stability of multi-layer Hele-Shaw flows. J. Stat. Mech. 12, 28 (2008a)Google Scholar
- Daripa, P.: Studies on stability in three-layer Hele-Shaw flows. Phys. Fluids. 20:Article No. 112101 (2008b)Google Scholar
- Daripa, P., Pasa, G.: A simple derivation of an upper bound in the presence of a viscosity gradient in three-layer Hele-Shaw flows. J. Stat. Mech. 11 pp (2006). doi: 10.1088/1742-5468/2006/01/P01014
- Daripa P., Pasa G.: On diffusive slowdown in three-layer Hele-Shaw flows. Q. Appl. Math. LXVIII, 591–606 (2010)Google Scholar
- Pasa G.: Hele-Shaw flows. Math. Rep. 10(2), 169–183 (2008)Google Scholar
- Pearson, J.J.: The stability of some variable viscosity flows with application to oil extraction. unpublished, Cambridge University Report (1977)Google Scholar