Effect of Net Stress on Hydraulic Conductivity of Unsaturated Soils
- 504 Downloads
This note presents results of a laboratory test program that examines the influence of pore volumes on soil water coefficient of permeability in different saturation conditions. Comparing the results, it is observed that the dependency of water coefficient of permeability to void spaces in unsaturated soils follow a different trend than associated in saturated state. The shift of the soil–water characteristic curve within the change of pore spaces is utilized to qualify the opposite detected response of unsaturated water permeability to the change of pore spaces.
KeywordsUnsaturated soils Water coefficient of permeability Pore spaces Soil–water characteristic curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brooks, R.H., Corey, A.T.: Hydraulic properties of porous media. In: Hydrology Papers, vol. 27, No. 3. Colorado State University (1964)Google Scholar
- Carman P.C.: Flow of gases through porous media. Butterworths, London (1956)Google Scholar
- Horton R., Ankeny M.D., Allmaras R.R.: Effects of soil compaction on soil hydraulic properties. In: Soane, B.D., Ouwerkerk, C. (eds) Soil compaction in crop production, pp. 141–165. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1994)Google Scholar
- Klute A.: Laboratory measurement of hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soil. In: Black, C.A., Evans, D.D., White, J.L., Ensminger, L.E., Clark, F.E. (eds) Methods of Soil Analysis, Monograph Series 9, Part 1, pp. 253–261. American Society of Agronomy, Madison (1965)Google Scholar
- Lin H.S., McInnes K.J., Wilding L.P., Hallmark C.T.: Effective porosity and flow rate with infiltration at low tensions in a well-structured subsoil. Trans. ASAE 39, 131–133 (1996)Google Scholar
- Walczak R.T., Sławiński C., Malicki M., Sobczuk H.: Measurement of water characteristics in soils using TDR technique: water characteristics of loess soil under different treatment. Int. Agrophys. 7, 175–182 (1993)Google Scholar