A new method for calculating hysteretic K(S) relationship
- 102 Downloads
A new method for calculating the hysteretic relationship between hydraulic conductivity (K) and suction (S) is proposed. This method uses the experimental (K–S) data of the main wetting and drying branches and predicts satisfactorily the scanning drying and wetting curves. The proposed method is applicable to those porous media where the hysteretic Θ–S relationship complies with the independent domain concept.
KeywordsHydraulic conductivity Capillary hysteresis Scanning curve Distribution function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kaluarachchi J.J., Parker J.C. (1987) Effects of hysteresis with air entrapment on water flow in the unsaturated zone. Water Resour. Res. 23(10):1967–1976Google Scholar
- Kool J.B., Parker J.C. (1987) Development and evaluation of closed-form expressions for hysteretic soil hydraulic properties. Water Resour. Res. 23, 105–114Google Scholar
- Mualem Y. (1973) Modified approach to capillary hysteresis based on a similarity hypothesis. Water Resour. Res. 9, 1324–1331Google Scholar
- Mualem Y. (1974) A conceptual model of hysteresis. Water Resour. Res. 10, 514–520Google Scholar
- Mualem Y. (1976a) A new model for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated porous media. Water Resour. Res. 12, 513–522Google Scholar
- Mualem Y. (1976b) Hysteretical models for prediction of the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated porous media. Water Resour. Res. 12, 1248–1254Google Scholar
- Mualem Y. (1984) A modified dependent-domain theory of hysteresis. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 137, 283–291Google Scholar
- Parlange J.Y. (1976) Capillary hysteresis and the relationship between drying and wetting curves. Water Resour. Res. 12, 224–228Google Scholar
- Pickens J.F., Gillham R.W. (1980) Finite element analysis of solute transport under hysteretic unsaturated flow conditions. Water Resour. Res. 16:1071–1078Google Scholar
- Stauffer, F.: Hysteretic unsaturated flow modelling. In: Proceedings of the second international conference on Hydroinformatics, Hydroinformatics 1996, pp. 589–595. Zurich, Switzerland. Balkema, Rotterdam (1996)Google Scholar
- Topp G.C., Miller E.E. (1966) Hysteretic moisture characteristics and hydraulic conductivities for glass-beads media. Soil Sci. 30, 156–162Google Scholar