Generalized carrier to interference ratio analysis for shotgun cellular systems in multiple dimensions over composite Rayleigh–Lognormal (Suzuki) fading
This paper analyzes the carrier-to-interference ratio (CIR) of the so-called shotgun cellular systems (SCSs) in \(\tau \) dimensions (\(\tau =1, 2,\) and 3). SCSs are wireless communication systems with randomly placed base stations (BSs) over the entire plane according to a Poisson point process in \(\tau \) dimensions. Such a system can model a dense cellular or wireless data network deployment, where locations of BSs end up being close to random due to constraints other than optimal coverage. In this paper we apply SCSs in \(\tau \) dimensions and also, in addition to path-loss and shadow fading, consider Rayleigh fading as a most commonly used distribution to model multi-path fading, and analyze the CIR over the composite fading channel [i.e., Rayleigh–Lognormal (or Suzuki) fading channel], and determine a generalized expression for the distribution of CIR and obtain the tail probability of CIR.
KeywordsRandom cellular deployment Shotgun cellular systems Generalized carrier to interference ratio Rayleigh fading Lognormal shadow fading Composite Rayleigh–Lognormal fading
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no competing interest.
- 1.Al-Ahmadi, S., & Yanikomeroglu, H. (2009). On the approximation of the generalized-K PDF by a gamma PDF using the moment matching method. In Proceedings of the IEEE wireless communications and networking conference (WCNC’09), Budapest, Hungary. https://doi.org/10.1109/WCNC.2009.4917849.
- 3.Atapattu, S., Tellambura, C., & Jiang, H. (2010). Representation of composite fading and shadowing distributions by using mixtures of Gamma distributions. In Proceedings of the wireless communications and networking conference (WCNC’10), Sydney, Australia. https://doi.org/10.1109/WCNC.2010.5506173.
- 4.Blanc, S. (2016). Physical layer security of wireless transmissions over fading channels. Ann Arbor: ProQuest Dissertations Publishing.Google Scholar
- 5.Brown, T. X. (1998). Analysis and coloring of a shotgun cellular system. In Proceedings of the IEEE radio and wireless conference (RAWCON), Colorado Springs, USA. https://doi.org/10.1109/RAWCON.1998.709134.
- 6.Brown, T. X. (1999). Dynamic channel assignment in shotgun cellular systems. In Proceedings of the IEEE radio and wireless conference (RAWCON), Denver, USA. https://doi.org/10.1109/RAWCON.1999.810951.
- 11.Dinh, T. M. T., Nguyen, Q. T., & Sandrasegaran, K. (2017). A closed-form of cooperative detection probability using EGC-based soft decision under Suzuki fading. In Proceedings of the 11th international conference on signal processing and communication systems (ICSPCS’17), Surfers Paradise, Australia. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSPCS.2017.8270508.
- 14.Keeler, H. P., BÅaszczyszyn, B. & Karray, M. K. (2013). SINR-based k-coverage probability in cellular networks with arbitrary shadowing. In Proceedings of the IEEE international symposium on information theory proceedings (ISIT’13), Istanbul, Turkey. https://doi.org/10.1109/ISIT.2013.6620410.
- 15.Khodadoust, A. M., & Hodtani, G. A. (2018). Carrier to interference ratio analysis in shotgun cellular systems over a generalized shadowing distribution. Wireless Networks. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11276-018-1742-z.
- 17.Krstić, D., Suljović, S., Milić, D., Panić, S., & Stefanović, M. (2018). Outage probability of macrodiversity reception in the presence of Gamma long-term fading, Rayleigh short-term fading and Rician co-channel interference. Annals of Telecommunications. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12243-017-0593-4.
- 22.Madhusudhanan, P., Restrepo, J. G., Liu, Y. E., Brown, T. X., & Baker, K. (2009). Carrier to interference ratio analysis for the shotgun cellular system. In Proceeding of the global telecommunications conference (GLOBECOM’09), Honolulu, USA. https://doi.org/10.1109/GLOCOM.2009.5425785.
- 23.Madhusudhanan, P., Restrepo, J. G., Liu, Y., Brown, T. X., & Baker, K. (2010). Generalized carrier to interference ratio analysis for the shotgun cellular system in multiple dimensions. CoRR. arXiv:1002.3943.
- 24.Madhusudhanan, P., Restrepo, J. G., Liu, Y., Brown, T. X., & Baker, K. R. (2011). Multi-tier network performance analysis using a shotgun cellular system. In Proceedings of the global telecommunications conference (GLOBECOM’11), Kathmandu, Nepal. https://doi.org/10.1109/GLOCOM.2011.6134293.
- 27.Populis, A. (1984). Probability, random variables and stochastic processes. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- 29.Shah, S. M., Samar, R., & Raja, M. A. Z. (2018). Fractional-order algorithms for tracking Rayleigh fading channels. Nonlinear Dynamics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-018-4122-4.
- 30.Singh, R., & Rawat, M. (2016). Closed-form distribution and analysis of a combined nakagami-Lognormal shadowing and unshadowing fading channel. Journal of Telecommunications and Information Technology, 4, 81–87.Google Scholar
- 31.Sofotasios, P. C., & Freear, S. (2015). A generalized non-linear composite fading model. CoRR. arXiv:1505.03779.
- 34.Yilmaz, F., & Alouini, M. S. (2010). A new simple model for composite fading channels: Second order statistics and channel capacity. In Proceedings of the 7th international symposium on wireless communication systems (ISWCS’10), York, UK. https://doi.org/10.1109/ISWCS.2010.5624350.
- 35.Yilmaz, F., & Alouini, M. S. (2010). Extended generalized-K (EGK): a new simple and general model for composite fading channels. CoRR. arXiv:1012.2598.
- 36.Yoo, S.K., Sofotasios, P. C., Cotton, S. L., Matthaiou1, M., Valkama, M., & Karagiannidis, G. K. (2015). The \(\eta \) \(\mu \) / inverse gamma composite fading model. In Proceedings of the IEEE 26th annual international symposium on personal, indoor, and mobile radio communications (PIMRC’15), Hong Kong, China. https://doi.org/10.1109/PIMRC.2015.7343288.