Adaptive mean queue size and its rate of change: queue management with random dropping
- 265 Downloads
The random early detection active queue management (AQM) scheme uses the average queue size to calculate the dropping probability in terms of minimum and maximum thresholds. The effect of heavy load enhances the frequency of crossing the maximum threshold value resulting in frequent dropping of the packets. An adaptive queue management with random dropping algorithm is proposed which incorporates information not just about the average queue size but also the rate of change of the same. Introducing an adaptively changing threshold level that falls in between lower and upper thresholds, our algorithm demonstrates that these additional features significantly improve the system performance in terms of throughput, average queue size, utilization and queuing delay in relation to the existing AQM algorithms.
KeywordsActive queue management (AQM) Rate of change of average queue size Throughput Queuing delay AQMRD Traffic control
- 4.Meckenney, P. E. (1990). Stochastic fair queuing. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM (pp. 733–740, Vol. 2).Google Scholar
- 5.Floyd, S., Gummadi, R., & Shenker, S. (2001). Adaptive RED: An algorithm for increasing the robustness of RED’s active queue management. Berkeley, CA. http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers.html.
- 6.May, M., Bolot, J., Diot, C., & Lyles, B. (1999). Reasons not to deploy RED. In Proceedings of IWQoS (pp. 260–262)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, H., & Shin, K.G. (1999). Refined design of random early detection gateways. In Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM (pp. 769–775).Google Scholar
- 10.Tan, L., Zhang, W., Peng, G., & Chen, G. (2006). Stability of TCP/RED systems in AQM routers. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 51(8), 1393–1398.Google Scholar
- 14.Feng, C. W. , Huang, L. F., Xu, C., & Chang, Y. C. (2015). Congestion control scheme performance analysis based on nonlinear RED, Journal of IEEE Systems, PP(99), (1–8). [Early Access Article].Google Scholar
- 15.Hollot, C.V., Misra, V., Towsley, D., & Gong, W. (2001). On designing improved controllers for AQM routers supporting TCP flows. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM (pp. 1726–1734).Google Scholar