Analysis of Gas Nitriding Characteristics Under Different Cold Hardening and Nitriding Pressure Conditions for Low-Carbon Low-Alloy Steel
- 50 Downloads
A new approach to quick preparation of a nitrided case for low-carbon low-alloy steels was proposed. It is based on cold hardening and pressurized gas nitriding. The microstructure, surface hardness, thickness, and corrosion resistance of the nitrided layer on low-carbon low-alloy steel (20CrMnTi) were investigated after the nitriding at 510°C for 5 h under different cold rolling reduction (0–60% CR) and nitriding pressure (1–5 atm). The results show that this technique can significantly improve the nitriding steel efficiency with the nitrided layer mainly composed of Fe2-3N and Fe4N nitrides. At constant nitriding pressure, the nitrided layer hardness first increases and then decreases with the amount of cold hardening. At the constant hardening, the nitrided layer hardness and corrosion resistance increase with the nitriding pressure. For the sample nitrided at 510°C for 5 h under 30% CR and a pressure of 5 atm, the nitrided layer exhibits optimal properties: hardness of 825 HV and thickness of 310 μm.
Keywordslow-carbon low-alloy steel nitride nitriding pressure cold hardening nitriding efficiency
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51505416), the Foundation for Young Scholars in Yanshan University (Grant No. 14LGA004) and the Post-Doctoral Research Project of Hebei Province of China (Grant No. B2016003029).
- 1.C. Stickels, “Gas carburizing of steels,” in: ASM Handbook Volume 4: Heat Treating, ASM International (1991), pp. 312–324.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Bell, Source Book on Nitriding, ASM International, Metals Park, OH (1977).Google Scholar
- 9.E. J. Mittemeijer, “Fundamentals of nitriding and nitrocarburizing,” in: ASM Handbook Volume 4A: Steel Heat Treating Fundamentals and Processes, ASM International (2013), pp. 619–646.Google Scholar
- 16.B. Wang, Z. Q. Lv, Z. A. Zhou, et al., “Combined effect of rapid nitriding and plastic deformation on the surface strength, toughness and wear resistance of steel 38CrMoAlA,” IOP Conf. Ser. - Mat. Sci., 89, 299–308 (2015).Google Scholar
- 17.W. T. Fu, B. Wang, P. Zhao, et al., China Patent 201210530358.6 (2012).Google Scholar