Exploratory factor and principal component analyses: some new aspects
- 575 Downloads
Exploratory Factor Analysis (EFA) and Principal Component Analysis (PCA) are popular techniques for simplifying the presentation of, and investigating the structure of, an (n×p) data matrix. However, these fundamentally different techniques are frequently confused, and the differences between them are obscured, because they give similar results in some practical cases. We therefore investigate conditions under which they are expected to be close to each other, by considering EFA as a matrix decomposition so that it can be directly compared with the data matrix decomposition underlying PCA. Correspondingly, we propose an extended version of PCA, called the EFA-like PCA, which mimics the EFA matrix decomposition in the sense that they contain the same unknowns. We provide iterative algorithms for estimating the EFA-like PCA parameters, and derive conditions that have to be satisfied for the two techniques to give similar results. Throughout, we consider separately the cases n>p and p≥n. All derived algorithms and matrix conditions are illustrated on two data sets, one for each of these two cases.
KeywordsData matrix decomposition SVD and QR factorization Projected gradients Optimality conditions Procrustes problems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- De Leeuw, J.: Least squares optimal scaling of partially observed linear systems. In: van Montfort, K., Oud, J., Satorra, A. (eds.) Recent Developments on Structural Equation Models: Theory and Applications, pp. 121–134. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht (2004) Google Scholar
- Harman, H.H.: Modern Factor Analysis, 3rd edn. University of Chicago Press, Chicago (1976) Google Scholar
- Magnus, I.R., Neudecker, H.: Matrix Differential Calculus with Applications in Statistics and Econometrics, 3rd edn. Wiley, Chichester (2007) Google Scholar
- Mulaik, S.A.: Looking back on the indeterminacy controversies in factor analysis. In: Maydeu-Olivares, A., McArdle, J.J. (eds.) Contemporary Psychometrics: A Festschift for Roderick P. McDonald, pp. 173–206. Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah (2005) Google Scholar
- Rao, C.R.: Principal component and factor analyses. In: Maddala, G.S., Rao, C.R. (eds.) Handbook of Statistics, 14, pp. 489–505. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1996) Google Scholar
- Trendafilov, N.T., Unkel, S.: Exploratory factor analysis of data matrices with more variables than observations. J. Comput. Graph. Stat. (2011). doi:10.1198/jcgs.2011.0921