Software process improvement in small and medium software enterprises: a systematic review
Small and medium enterprises are a very important cog in the gears of the world economy. The software industry in most countries is composed of an industrial scheme that is made up mainly of small and medium software enterprises—SMEs. To strengthen these types of organizations, efficient Software Engineering practices are needed—practices which have been adapted to their size and type of business. Over the last two decades, the Software Engineering community has expressed special interest in software process improvement (SPI) in an effort to increase software product quality, as well as the productivity of software development. However, there is a widespread tendency to make a point of stressing that the success of SPI is only possible for large companies. In this article, a systematic review of published case studies on the SPI efforts carried out in SMEs is presented. Its objective is to analyse the existing approaches towards SPI which focus on SMEs and which report a case study carried out in industry. A further objective is that of discussing the significant issues related to this area of knowledge, and to provide an up-to-date state of the art, from which innovative research activities can be thought of and planned.
KeywordsSoftware process improvement SPI Small and medium software enterprises SMEs Systematic Review
- Biolchini, J., Gomes, P., Cruz, A., & Travassos, G. (2005). Systematic review in software engineering. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Systems Engineering and Computer Science Department, UFRJ. http://www.cronos.cos.ufrj.br/publicacoes/reltec/es67905.pdf.
- Brodman, J. G., & Johnson, D. L. (1994). What small business and small organizations say about the CMM: Experience report. In Proceedings of the 16th International Conference On Software Engineering, Sorrento, Italy (pp. 331–340).Google Scholar
- Derniame, J.-C., Kaba, A. B., & Warboys, B. (Eds.). (1999). The software process: Modelling and technology. In Software process: Principles, methodology, and technology (pp. 1–12). Germany: Springer.Google Scholar
- EU. (2005). The new SME definition. User guide and model declaration (pp. 1–52). European Commission. http://www.ec.europa.eu/enterprise/enterprise_policy/sme_definition/sme_user_guide.pdf.
- Florac, W. A., Park, R. E., & Carleton, A. D. (1997). Practical software measurement: Measuring for process management and improvement (pp. 1–12). Pittsburgh: Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University.Google Scholar
- ISO. (2004). ISO/IEC 12207:2002/FDAM 2. Information technology – Software life cycle processes. Geneva: International Organization for Standardization. www.iso.org.
- ISO. (2006). ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 Working Group 24. Available on: http://www.iso-iec-sc7wg24.gelog.etsmtl.ca/Webpage/iso-iec-sc7wg24_english.html. Accessed: January, 2007.
- Johnson, D. L., & Brodman, J. G. (1999). Tailoring the CMM for small businesses, small organizations, and small projects. In K. El Eman & N. Madhavji (Eds.), Elements of software process assessment and improvement (pp. 239–259). Los Alamitos: IEEE CS Press.Google Scholar
- Kitchenham, B. (2004). Procedures for performing systematic reviews (pp. 1–28). Keele University and ICT Australia Ltd. http://www.idi.ntnu.no/emner/empse/papers/kitchenham_2004.pdf.
- Oktaba, H., Garcia, F., Piattini, M., Pino, F., Alquicira, C., & Ruiz, F. (2007). Software process improvement: The COMPETISOFT project. IEEE Computer, 40(10), 21–28.Google Scholar
- Paulk, M. C. (1998). Using the software CMM in small organizations. In Proc. Joint 16th Pacific Northwest Software Quality Conf. and 8th Int’l Conf. Software Quality (pp. 350–360).Google Scholar
- Pino, F., Garcia, F., Piattini, M., & Oktaba, H. (2006). Revisión sistemática de mejora de procesos software en micro, pequeñas y medianas empresas. COMPETISOFT_IT_1. Ciudad Real, España: CYTED. http://www.alarcos.inf-cr.uclm.es/competisoft/privado/deriverables/COMPETISOFT_IT%201.pdf.
- Rout, T., Tuffley, A., Cahill, B., & Hodgen, B. (2000). The RAPID assessment of software process capability. In First International Conference on Software Process Improvement and Capability Determination (pp. 47–56).Google Scholar
- Scott, L., Jeffery, R., Carvalho, L., D’Ambra, J., & Rutherford, P. (2001). Practical software process improvement – The IMPACT project. In Proceedings of the Australian Software Engineering Conference (pp. 182–189).Google Scholar
- SEI. (2006). Improving processes in small settings (IPSS project). Available on: http://www.sei.cmu.edu/iprc/ipssbackground.html. Accessed: October, 2006.
- Staples, M., & Niazi, M. (2007). Systematic review of organizational motivations for adopting CMM-based SPI. Information and Software Technology, doi:10.1016/j.infsof.2007.07.003.