What Can Be Known and How People Grow: The Philosophical Stakes of the Assessment Debate
Fierce debates over standardized assessments in teacher preparation have revolved around flaws in implementation and the politics of privatization. While important, this focus obscures the philosophical divide between proponents and opponents of standardized assessments. This article examines how faculty in New York State argue for and against a controversial performance assessment for teacher candidates, the edTPA. Revealing the distinctive ways that teacher educators on opposing sides of this debate understand the nature of knowledge, human development, professionalism, and social justice clarifies what is at stake in debates over how to prepare teachers. Such clarification can deepen the discussion on how to evaluate learning and growth as well as enrich the conversation on how to protect the integrity of educational professions and practices.
KeywordsEpistemology Non-ideal theory Assessment Teacher preparation
- AACTE. n.d. About edTPA. http://edtpa.aacte.org/about-edtpa. Last accessed 10 Aug 15.
- AACTE-b n.d. Frequently asked questions. http://edtpa.aacte.org/faq#51. Last accessed 10 Aug 15.
- Badgett, K., J. Decman, and C. Carman. 2013. National implications: The impact of teacher graduate degrees on student math assessments. National Forum of Teacher Education Journal 23(3): 1–18.Google Scholar
- Bruun, H. 2012. Science, values and politics in Max Weber’s methodology: New expanded edition. Farnham: Ashgate Publishing Ltd.Google Scholar
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). 2013. CAEP accreditation standards and evidence: Aspirations for educator preparation. http://edsource.org/wp-content/uploads/commrpt.pdf. Last accessed 10 Aug 15.
- Crowe, E. 2011. Race to the top and teacher preparation. Center for American Progress. https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/education/report/2011/03/01/9329/race-to-the-top-and-teacher-preparation/. Last accessed 10 Aug 15.
- DeMoss, K. forthcoming. New York’s edTPA: A long, unwinding road towards solving the wrong problem. In Taking [on] the exams: Teacher performance assessment in an age of accountability, ed. J. Carter and H. Lochte. London: Palgrave McMillan.Google Scholar
- Duncan, A. 2009. Teacher preparation: Reforming the uncertain profession. Remarks of Secretary Arne Duncan at Teachers College, Columbia University. United States Department of Education. http://www.ed.gov/news/speeches/teacher-preparation-reforming-uncertain-profession. Last accessed 10 Aug 15.
- Goldhaber, D. and S. Liddle. 2012. The gateway to the profession: Assessing teacher preparation programs based on student achievement. National Center for Analysis of Longitudinal Data in Education Research.Google Scholar
- Habermas, J., and T. McCarthy. 1985. The theory of communicative action: Lifeworld and system: A critique of functionalist reason, vol. 2. Boston: Beacon Press.Google Scholar
- Hansen, D.T. 2001. Exploring the moral heart of teaching: Toward a teacher’s creed. New York: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Hersh, R. 2004. Assessment and accountability: Unveiling the student learning factor in higher education. In Presentation for AAHE national assessment conference Denver. http://www.teaglefoundation.org/teagle/media/library/documents/resources/200406_hersh.pdf. Last accessed 10 Aug 15.
- Hillary, A. and M. Brabeck. 2014. One hundred years of standards for teacher preparation reform: Comparisons with CAEP standards. Unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). 2010. Report of the Blue Ribbon Panel on clinical preparation and partnerships for improved student learning: Transforming teacher education through clinical practice: A national strategy to prepare effective teachers. Google Scholar
- Nelson, C. 2015. Salary isn’t the only measure. Inside higher Ed. https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2015/09/14/essay-criticizes-obama-administrations-new-scorecard-colleges. Last accessed 10 Aug 15.
- New York State Dept. of Education, Office of Teaching Initiatives. n.d. EdTPA safety net. http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/certexamsedtpa.html. Last accessed 10 Aug 15.
- New York State Dept. of Education. n.d.-B. Data NYSED. http://data.nysed.gov/lists.php?type=higher.
- SCALE. n.d. edTPA for New York State. http://www.edtpa.com/PageView.aspx?f=GEN_NewYork.html. Last accessed 10 Aug 15.
- United University Professions. n.d. UUP takes edTPA debate to AFT stage. http://uupinfo.org/communications/uupdate/1314/140414.php.
- Wall, A., D. Hursh, and J. Rodgers. 2014. Assessment for whom: Repositioning higher education assessment as an ethical and value-focused social practice. Research and Practice in Assessment 9(1): 5–17.Google Scholar
- Van Zandt, D. 22 October, 2012. Holding all universities accountable for student outcomes. The Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-van-zandt/holding-all-universities-_b_2001008.html.