Electrodynamics of Pulsar Magnetospheres
- 611 Downloads
We review electrodynamics of rotating magnetized neutron stars, from the early vacuum model to recent numerical experiments with plasma-filled magnetospheres. Significant progress became possible due to the development of global particle-in-cell simulations which capture particle acceleration, emission of high-energy photons, and electron-positron pair creation. The numerical experiments show from first principles how and where electric gaps form, and promise to explain the observed pulsar activity from radio waves to gamma-rays.
KeywordsPulsars: general Acceleration of particles Radiation mechanisms: non-thermal Magnetic reconnection Relativistic processes Stars: winds, outflows
The authors thank the International Space Science Institute in Bern for the invitation and hospitality during the Workshop on Jets and Winds in Pulsar Wind Nebulae and Gamma-ray Bursts in November 2015. BC acknowledges support from CNES and Labex OSUG@2020 (ANR10 LABX56). AMB pulsar research is supported by NASA grants NNX13AI34G and NNX15AU71G.
- A.A. Abdo, M. Ackermann, M. Ajello, W.B. Atwood, M. Axelsson, L. Baldini, J. Ballet, G. Barbiellini, M.G. Baring, D. Bastieri, et al., The first Fermi Large Area Telescope catalog of gamma-ray pulsars. Astrophys. J. Suppl. Ser. 187, 460–494 (2010). doi: 10.1088/0067-0049/187/2/460 ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- A.A. Abdo, M. Ajello, A. Allafort, L. Baldini, J. Ballet, G. Barbiellini, M.G. Baring, D. Bastieri, A. Belfiore, R. Bellazzini, et al., The second Fermi Large Area Telescope catalog of gamma-ray pulsars. Astrophys. J. Suppl. Ser. 208, 17 (2013). doi: 10.1088/0067-0049/208/2/17 ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- M.A. Belyaev, K. Parfrey, Spatial distribution of pair production over the pulsar polar cap. ArXiv e-prints (2016) Google Scholar
- S.E. Gralla, A. Lupsasca, A. Philippov, Pulsar magnetospheres: beyond the flat spacetime dipole. ArXiv e-prints (2016) Google Scholar
- J. Pétri, Theory of pulsar magnetosphere and wind. ArXiv e-prints (2016) Google Scholar
- A. Spitkovsky, J. Arons, Simulations of pulsar wind formation, in Neutron Stars in Supernova Remnants, ed. by P.O. Slane, B.M. Gaensler. Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series, vol. 271 (2002), p. 81 Google Scholar