The Solar Wind Around Pluto (SWAP) Instrument Aboard New Horizons
The Solar Wind Around Pluto (SWAP) instrument on New Horizons will measure the interaction between the solar wind and ions created by atmospheric loss from Pluto. These measurements provide a characterization of the total loss rate and allow us to examine the complex plasma interactions at Pluto for the first time. Constrained to fit within minimal resources, SWAP is optimized to make plasma-ion measurements at all rotation angles as the New Horizons spacecraft scans to image Pluto and Charon during the flyby. To meet these unique requirements, we combined a cylindrically symmetric retarding potential analyzer with small deflectors, a top-hat analyzer, and a redundant/coincidence detection scheme. This configuration allows for highly sensitive measurements and a controllable energy passband at all scan angles of the spacecraft.
KeywordsSolar wind Pluto plasma interaction Pickup ions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Bagenal, T.E. Cravens, J.G. Luhmann, R.L. McNutt, A.F. Cheng, Pluto and Charon: Pluto’s Interaction with the Solar Wind (University of Arizona Press, Tucson, 1997), p. 523 Google Scholar
- A.J. Dessler, C.T. Russell, Eos 61, 691 (1980) Google Scholar
- J.L. Elliot, A. Ates, B.A. Babcock, A.S. Bosh, M.W. Buie, K.B. Clancy, E.W. Dunham, S.S. Eikenberry, D.T. Hall, S.D. Kern, S.K. Leggett, S.E. Levine, D.S. Moon, C.B. Olkin, D.J. Osip, J.M. Pasachoff, B.E. Penprase, M.J. Person, S. Qu, J.T. Rayner, L.C. Roberts, C.V. Salyk, S.P. Souza, R.C. Stone, B.W. Taylor, D.J. Tholen, J.E. Thomas-Osip, D.R. Ticehurst, L.H. Wasserman, Nature 424, 165 (2003) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- L.A. Fisk, G. Gloeckler, T.H. Zurbuchen, N.A. Schwadron, in Acceleration and Transport of Energetic Particles Observed in the Heliosphere, ed. by R.A. Mewaldt, J.R. Jokipii, M.A. Lee, E. Möbius (American Institute of Physics, Melville, 2000), pp. 229–233. Google Scholar
- McNutt et al., Space Sci. Rev. (2007), this issue Google Scholar
- J.D. Richardson, J.W. Belcher, A.J. Lazarus, K.I. Paularena, P.R. Gazis, in Proceedings of the Eighth International Solar Wind Conference, ed. by D. Winterhalter, J.T. Gosling, S.R. Habbal, W.S. Kurth (American Institute of Physics, Melville, 1996), pp. 483–486 Google Scholar
- Stern et al., New Horizons mission. Space Sci. Rev. (2007), this issue Google Scholar