The Role of Interchange Reconnection in Facilitating a Filament Eruption
- 235 Downloads
We study the interaction between an erupting solar filament and a nearby coronal hole, based on multi-viewpoint observations from the Solar Dynamics Observatory and STEREO. During the early evolution of the filament eruption, it exhibits a clockwise rotation that brings its easternmost leg in contact with the oppositely aligned field at the coronal hole boundary. The interaction between the two magnetic-field systems is manifested as the development of a narrow contact layer in which we see enhanced EUV brightening and bi-directional flows, suggesting that the contact layer is a region of strong and ongoing magnetic reconnection. The coronal mass ejection (CME) resulting from this eruption is highly asymmetric, with its southern portion opening up to the upper corona, while the northern portion remains closed and connected to the Sun. We suggest that the erupting flux rope that made up the filament reconnected with both the open and closed fields at the coronal hole boundary via interchange reconnection and closed-field disconnection, respectively, which led to the observed CME configuration.
KeywordsActive regions, magnetic fields Prominences, dynamics Magnetic reconnection
(AVI 2.3 MB)
- Crooker, N.U., Webb, D.F.: 2006, J. Geophys. Res. 111(A8). DOI.
- Masson, S., McCauley, P., Golub, L., Reeves, K.K., DeLuca, E.: 2013, preprint, arXiv.
- Schou, J., Scherrer, P.H., Bush, R.I., Wachter, R., Couvidat, S., Rabello-Soares, M.C., Bogart, R.S., Hoeksema, J.T., Liu, Y., Duvall, J.T.L., Akin, D.J., Allard, B.A., Miles, J.W., Rairden, R., Shine, R.A., Tarbell, T.D., Title, A.M., Wolfson, C.J., Elmore, D.F., Norton, A.A., Tomczyk, S.: 2012, Design and ground calibration of the helioseismic and magnetic imager (HMI) instrument on the solar dynamics observatory (SDO). Solar Phys. 275, 229. ISBN 978-1-4614-3672-0. DOI. ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sun, X.: 2013, preprint, arXiv.
- Wuelser, J.P., Lemen, J.R., Tarbell, T.D., Wolfson, C., Cannon, J.C., Carpenter, B.A., Duncan, D.W., Gradwohl, G.S., Meyer, S.B., Moore, A.S., et al.: 2004 In: Proceedings of SPIE 5171, 111. Google Scholar