Reconstruction of the Heliospheric Current Sheet Tilts Using Sunspot Numbers
- 74 Downloads
We have investigated the correlation between the relative sunspot number and tilt of the heliospheric current sheet (HCS) in solar cycles 21–23. Strong and highly significant positive correlation (r > 0.8, P < 0.001) was found for corresponding data in the time interval from May 1976 through December 2004. Cross-correlation analysis does not reveal any time shift between the data sets. Reconstructed values of the HCS tilt, for the time interval before 1976, are found using sunspot numbers. To take different amplitude of solar cycles into account they were then normalized to zero in the minima of the solar activity and to average in solar cycles 21–23 maximal calculated HCS tilt in the maxima. These normalized reconstructed HCS data are compared with the angular positions of the brightest coronal streamers observed during total solar eclipses in 1870–2002, and their agreement is better for the minima of the solar activity than for the maxima.
KeywordsSolar Activity Significant Positive Correlation Solar Cycle Current Sheet Angular Position
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gulyaev, R. A. and Filippov, B. P.: 1992, Doklady Acad. Sci. USSR. 322, 268 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Hoeksema, J. T.: 1991a, The Solar Magnetic Field 1985 Through 1990, Center for Space Science and Astrophysics, Report GSSA-ASTRO-91–01.Google Scholar
- Hoeksema, J. T. and Scherrer, P. H.: 1986, The Solar Magnetic Field 1976 Through 1985, World Data Center A for Solar-Terrestrial Physics, Report UAG-94, Boulder, CO.Google Scholar
- Ivanchuk, V.G. and Pishkalo, M.I.: 2002, Visnyk Kyiv University. Astronomy 38, 13 (in Ukrainian).Google Scholar
- Ivanchuk, V. I., Dzyubenko, N. I., and Pishkalo, N. I.: 1999, Proceedings of the International Conference on Structure and Dynamics of the Solar Corona, Troitsk, Moscow Region, Russia, p. 246 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Mitropolsky, A. K.: 1971, Technique of Statistical Computing, Science, Moscow, p. 359 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Pishkalo, M. I.: 2003, Visnyk Kyiv University. Astronomy 39–40, 17 (in Ukrainian).Google Scholar
- Vsekhsvyatsky, S. K., Nikolsky, G. M., Ivanchuk, V. I., Nesmyanovich, A. T., Ponomarev, E. A., Rubo, G. A., and Cherednichenko, V. I.: 1965, Solar Corona and Corpuscular Radiation in the Interplanetary Space, Kiev University Edition, Kiev, p. 73 (in Russian).Google Scholar