Human Development Index Based on ELECTRE TRI-C Multicriteria Method: An Application in the City of Recife
- 380 Downloads
The Human Development Index (HDI) is an indicator that measures individuals’ welfare through three dimensions: health, education and income. Since its conception, the HDI has been a focus of attention for various segments of society such as politicians, professionals in the media, policy makers, academics and ordinary citizens. The index, however, has received several criticisms over the years, the compensatory effect between the dimensions being the main one. In this context, this paper puts forward an alternative approach for calculating the Municipal Human Development Index, thereby mitigating some criticisms of the index and supporting public decision making. For this purpose, the ELECTRE TRI-C multicriteria method was used, in order to attenuate the compensatory effect, to reduce calculation problems and to allow comparison year by year. An application was conducted in the city of Recife, Pernambuco, in order to demonstrate the benefits of the proposed approach. As a result, a more adequate classification of the regions in four levels of human development was obtained.
KeywordsHuman Development Index Multicriteria decision aid ELECTRE TRI-C Decision making
- Agostini, S. J., & Richarson, S. J. (1997). A Human Development Index for U.S. Cities: Methodological issues and preliminary findings. real state. Economics, 25(1), 13–41.Google Scholar
- Anand, S., & Sen, A. (1994). Human Development Index: Methodology and measurement. Technical Report HDOCPA-1994-02. United Nations Development Programme. http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr1994/papers/oc12.pdf. Accessed 02 October 2013.
- Brazil. (1996). Lei no. 9.394 de 20 de Dezembro de 1996: Estabelece as Diretrizes e Bases da Educação Nacional. Presidência da República, Casa Civil, Subchefia para Assuntos Jurídicos. www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/leis/l9394.htm. Accessed 13 October 2013.
- Cahill, M. B. (2005). Is the Human Development Index redundant? Eastern Economic Journal, 31(1), 1–5.Google Scholar
- Gill, P., & Hall, P. (1997). Playing numbers Or politics? Approaches to the prioritization of development needs in South Africa. Social Indicators Research, 41(1–3), 251–278.Google Scholar
- Institute of Applied Economic Research. (2006). Radar Social 2006: Condições de Vida no Brasil. Report. Directory of Social Studies. http://www.ipea.gov.br/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5511. Accessed 07 October 2013.
- Murray, C. J. L. (1991). Development data constraints and the Human Development Index. Discussion Paper No. 25. United Nations Research Institute for Social Development. http://www.unrisd.org/80256B3C005BCCF9/%28httpPublications%29/C1CA9D172A23FB6880256B67005B6239?OpenDocument. Accessed 04 October 2013.
- Pagliani, P. (2010). Influence of Regional, National and Sub-national HDRs. Human Development Research Paper 2010/19. United Nations Development Programme. http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr2010/papers/HDRP_2010_19.pdf. Accessed 01 October 2013.
- Prefeitura do Recife (2005). Atlas of Human Development in Recife. Atlas. Recife City Hall and UNDP. http://www.recife.pe.gov.br/pr/secplanejamento/pnud2006/downloads.html. Accessed 28 September 2013.
- Srinivasan, T. N. (2012). Human development: A new paradigm or reinvention of the wheel? American Economic Review, 84(2), 238–243.Google Scholar
- Stanton, E. A. (2007). The Human Development Index: A history. University of Massachusetts Amherst, Political Economy Research Institute. http://www.peri.umass.edu/fileadmin/pdf/working_papers/working_papers_101-50/WP127.pdf. Accessed 04 October 2013.
- Tokuyama, C., & Pillarisetti, J. R. (2009). Measuring and monitoring human welfare: How credible are the data in the UNDP’s human development reports? Journal of Economic and Social Measurement, 34(1), 35–50.Google Scholar
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). (1990). Concept and measurement of human development. Human Development Report. UNDP. http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr1990/chapters/. Accessed 30 September 2013.
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). (2000). National Human Development Report Bulgaria 2000; The Municipal Mosaic. Human Development Report. UNDP. http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/national/europethecis/bulgaria/bulgaria_2000_en.pdf. Accessed 02 October 2013.
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). (2011). Relatório do Desenvolvimento Humano; Sustentabilidade e Equidade: Um Futuro Melhor para Todos. Human Development Report. UNDP. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2011_PT_Complete.pdf. Accessed 30 September 2013.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). (2011). EFA Global Monitoring Report; The Hidden Crisis: Armed Conflict and Education. Report. UNESCO. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0019/001907/190743e.pdf. Accessed 10 October 2013.
- Vincke, P. (1992). Multicriteria decision-aid. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar