Attenuation from microseismic datasets by the peak frequency method benchmarked with the spectral ratio method
- 110 Downloads
Recently proposed peak-frequency method is used to estimate the P- and S-wave quality factors from microseismic events. We use a downhole monitoring dataset of 10 high signal-to-noise ratio microseismic events to calculate P- and S-wave effective attenuation of a carbonate reservoir. We benchmark these results with the spectral ratio method and obtain mutually consistent results. Additionally we develop and test two techniques of peak frequency determination. We show that the peak frequency method can be successfully used in the estimation of the quality factor and it provides precise measurements of attenuation.
Keywordsattenuation microseismicity inversion ray tracing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aki K., Fehler M., Aamodt R.L., Albright R.L., Potter R.M., Pearson C.M. and Tester J.W., 1982. Interpretation of seismic data from hydraulic fracturing experiments at the Fenton Hill, New Mexico, hot dry rock geothermal site. J. Geophys. Res., 87, 936–944, DOI: 10.1029/JB087iB02p00936.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bath M., 1974. Spectral Analysis in Geophysics. Developments in Solid Earth Geophysics 7, Elsevier Science Publishing Co., Amsterdam, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Eaton D.W., 2014. Magnitude, scaling, and spectral signature of tensile microseisms. GeoConvention Conference Abstracts. (http://www.geoconvention.com/archives/2014/143_GC2014_Magnitudes_scaling_and_spectral_signatures_of_tensile_microseisms.pdf).Google Scholar
- Einspigel D. and Eisner L., 2014. Detection of perforation shots in surface monitoring: the attenuation effect. Acta Geodyn. Geomater., 11, 159–164 DOI: 10.13168/AGG.2013.0062.Google Scholar
- Eisner L., Gei D., Hallo M., Opršal I. and Ali M.Y., 2014. Reply to “The peak frequency of direct waves for microseismic events” (Leo Eisner, Davide Gei, Miroslav Hallo, Ivo Opršal, and Mohammed Y. Ali, GEOPHYSICS, 78, no. 6, A45–A49). Geophysics, 79, X23–X25, DOI: 10.1190/2014-0053.2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mateeva A., 2003. Quantifying the Uncertainties in Absorption Estimates from VSP Spectral Ratio. Research Report 457. Center for Wave Phenomena, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO (http://www.cwp.mines.edu/Documents/cwpreports/cwp457.pdf).Google Scholar
- Morozov I.B., 2014. Source reverberations, near-surface resonances, or Q? Comment on “The peak frequency of direct waves for microseismic events” (Leo Eisner, Davide Gei, Miroslav Hallo, Ivo Opršal, and Mohammed Y. Ali, Geophysics, 78, no. 6, A45-A49). Geophysics, 79, X19–X22, DOI: 10.1190/geo2014-0053.1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar