Gender, Sexuality, and Psychology: History, Theory, Debates, and New Directions
- 719 Downloads
Gender and sexuality are increasingly critical to understanding lives and identities, as can be seen in complex discussions about social networking, controversies surrounding recently enacted legislation, and the expansion of academic study in these domains. In the area of social networking, corporations such as Facebook have received media attention and praise from gender activists for the wide range of gender categories that users can select (Ball 2014), but Facebook has also been criticized by trans activists for its policy forcing people to use their “real” names (Lil Miss Hot Mess 2015). An example of controversial legislation related to gender and sexuality is the “Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act” (General Assembly of North Carolina 2016), enacted in March 2016 in the U.S. state of North Carolina. This law requires people to use the bathroom designated for the gender listed on their birth certificate and has been criticized as discriminatory against trans people...
- Ball, A. L. (2014, April 4). Who are you on Facebook now? Facebook customizes gender with 50 different choices. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/fashion/facebook-customizes-gender-with-50-different-choices.html.
- DeBord, K. A., Fischer, A. R., Bieschke, K. J., & Perez, R. M. (2017). Handbook of sexual orientation and gender diversity in counseling and psychotherapy. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- General Assembly of North Carolina. (2016). An act to provide for single-sex multiple occupancy bathroom and changing facilities in schools and public agencies and to create statewide consistency in regulation of employment and public accommodations. Retrieved from http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2/Bills/House/PDF/H2v4.pdf.
- Graduate programs. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.smith.edu/swg/graduate.php.
- King, A., Santos, A., & Crowhurst, I. (2017). Sexualities research: critical interjections, diverse methodologies, and practical advances in critical diversities. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Korenman, J. (2016, November 17). Women’s studies programs, departments, & research centers. Retrieved from https://userpages.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/programs.html.
- Leaper, C. (2015). Gender and social-cognitive development. In R. M. Lerner (Series Ed.), L. S. Liben & U. Muller (Vol. Eds.), Handbook of child psychology and developmental science: Cognitive processes (7th ed., Vol. 2, pp. 806–853). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Lichtblau, E., & Fausset, R. (2016, May 4). U.S. warns North Carolina that transgender bill violates civil rights laws. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/us/north-carolina-transgender-bathroom-bill.html.
- Lil Miss Hot Mess. (2015, July 15). Shame on Facebook: How Zuckerberg’s confusing “real names” policy hurts more than it helps [Web log post]. Huffington Post. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lil-hot-mess/shame-on-facebook-how-zuc_b_7789438.html.
- Tolman, D. L., & Diamond, L. M. (2014). APA handbook of sexuality and psychology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar