An integrated method for interdisciplinary topic identification and prediction: a case study on information science and library science
- 444 Downloads
Given that many frontiers and hotspots of science and technology are emerging from interdisciplines, the accurate identification and forecasting of interdisciplinary topics has become increasingly significant. Existing methods of interdisciplinary topic identification have their respective application fields, and each identification result can help researchers acquire partial characteristics of interdisciplinary topics. This paper offers an integrated method for identifying and predicting interdisciplinary topics from scientific literature. It integrates various methods, including co-occurrence networks analysis, high-TI terms analysis and burst detection, and offers an overall perspective into interdisciplinary topic identification. The results of the different methods are mutually confirmed and complemented, further overviewing the characteristics of the interdisciplinary field and highlighting the importance or potential of interdisciplinary topics. In this study, Information Science and Library Science is selected as a case study. The research has clearly shown that more accurate and comprehensive results can be achieved for interdisciplinary topic identification and prediction by employing this integrated method. Further, the integration of different methods has promising potential for application in knowledge discovery and scientific measurement in the future.
KeywordsInterdisciplinary topic Topic identification Integrated method Information science and library science
This study was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 71704170), the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation funded Project (2016M590124), the Youth Innovation Fund of Promotion Association, CAS (2016159) and Informationization Initiative of Chinese Academy of Sciences (XXH13506-203).
- Breunig, M. M. (2000). LOF: Identifying density-based local outliers. In ACM SIGMOD international conference on management of data, May 16–18, 2000, Dallas, TX, USA (Vol. 29, pp. 93–104). DBLP.Google Scholar
- Chu, J., & Qian, Q. (2014). Analysis of research focus and research methods in the field of knowledge management during the past decade. Information Science, 10, 156–160.Google Scholar
- Hong, S., Lin, J., & Zhang, Y. (2015). Density-based outlier detection on uncertain data. Computer Science, 42(5), 230–233.Google Scholar
- Kleinberg, J. (2003). Bursty and hierarchical structure in streams. In Eighth ACM SIGKDD international conference on knowledge discovery and data mining (Vol. 7, pp. 91–101). ACM.Google Scholar
- Li, X. (2017). Research hotspots and trend analysis of railway transportation engineering management based on knowledge graph. Rail Way Transport and Economy, 1, 81–87.Google Scholar
- Li, C., Liu, F., & Guo, F. (2013). Analysis on interdisciplinary research topics with cinder of overlapping communities visualization software: Taking the information science and computer science for example. Library and Information Service, 7, 75–80.Google Scholar
- Min, C., & Sun, J. (2014). Clustering analysis on discipline-crossing research hotspots: An example of library and information science and journalism and communication studies. Library and Information Service, 58(1), 109–116.Google Scholar
- Papadimitriou, S., Kitagawa, H., Gibbons, P. B., & Faloutsos, C. (2003, March). LOCI: Fast outlier detection using the local correlation integral. In: Data Engineering, 2003. Proceedings. 19th International Conference on (pp. 315–326). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Sci2Team. (2009). Science of science (Sci2) tool. Retrieved July 11, 2015 from https://sci2.cns.iu.edu.
- Tamura, S., Tamura, K., Kitakami, H., & Hirahara, K. (2012). Clustering-based burst-detection algorithm for web-image document stream on social media. In IEEE international conference on systems, man, and cybernetics (Vol. 2, pp. 703–708). IEEE.Google Scholar
- TDA. (2013). Thomson data analyzer. Retrieved July 14, 2016 from https://www.thevantagepoint.com/.
- Trotta, D., & Garengo, P. (2017). A co-word analysis on human resource management literature: The role of technological innovation from 2007–2017. In 20th Excellence in services international conference conference proceedings (Vol. 9, pp. 797–810). ISBN.Google Scholar
- Wang, L. (2012). On the topic evolution based on outlier data. Doctoral dissertation, Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences.Google Scholar
- Wei, L., Xu, H., Guo, T., et al. (2015). Study on the interisciplinary topics of information science based on weak co-occurrence and burst detecting. Library and Information Service, 59(21), 105–114.Google Scholar
- Zhou, S. (2015). Burst information monitoring research on the songs of the South based on Kleinberg algorithm. Computer Knowledge and Technology, 2, 86–89.Google Scholar