‘Technology Mining’ bibliometrics analysis: applying network analysis and cluster analysis
- 894 Downloads
According to advances in text mining methods and tools, technology mining, or its brevity ‘tech mining’, is one of recent research areas progressively emerged in technology management area. Over past two decades, this area has been attractive for many scholars in business management, technology management, and computer science departments. The majority of tech mining applications is concentrated on analyzing patents which is also called patent mining by some scholars; moreover, there are some researchers reported tech mining applied to other types of technological documents like R&D reports (Porter and Newman 2011).
Porter as one of pioneers in technology mining has defined ‘tech mining’ in his book (Porter and Cunningham 2005): the application of text mining toolsto science and technology information, informed by understanding of technological innovation processes.Therefore, tech mining has two significant characteristics: (1) using ‘text mining tools’, (2) applied for...
KeywordsNetwork Analysis Text Mining Citation Analysis Patent Citation Eigenvector Centrality
- Alencar, M. S. M., Porter, A. L., & Antunes, A. M. S. (2007). Nanopatenting patterns in relation to product life cycle. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 40, 1661–1680.Google Scholar
- Chen, C. (2004). Information visualization. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Chen, C. (2014). “CiteSpac,” [Online]. http://cluster.cis.drexel.edu/~cchen/citespace/.
- Chen, C., Zhang, J., & Vogeley, M. S. (2009). Visual analysis of scientific discoveries and knowledge diffusion. In The 12th international conference on scientometrics and informetrics, pp. 14–17.Google Scholar
- Choi, S., Yoon, J., Kim, K., & Kim, C.-H. (2011). SAO network analysis of patents for technology trends identification: A case study of polymer electrolyte membrane technology in proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Scientometrics, 88(3), 863–883.Google Scholar
- Dhami M. K., & Olsson, H. (2008). Evolution of the interpersonal conflict paradigm. Judgment and Decision Making, 3(7), 547–569.Google Scholar
- Guo, Y., Huang, L., & Porter, A. L. (2010). The research profiling method applied to nano-enhanced, thin-film solar cells. R&D Management, 40(2), 195–208.Google Scholar
- Jeon, J., Lee, C., & Park, Y. (2011). How to use patent information to search potential technology partners in open innovation. Journal of Intellectual Property Rights, 16(5), 385–393.Google Scholar
- McCulloh, I., Armstrong, H., & Johnson, A. (2013). Social network analysis with applications (p. 46). New Jersey: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Porter, A. L., & Cunningham, S. W. (2005). Tech mining: Exploiting new technologies for competitive advantage. New Jersey: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Porter, A. L., Guo, Y., & Chiavatta, D. (2011). Tech mining: Text mining and visualization tools, as applied to nanoenhanced solar cells. WILEY Interdisciplilnary Reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 1(2), 172–181.Google Scholar
- Porter, A., & Newman, N. (2011, January). Mining external R&D. Technovation, no.Google Scholar
- Xu-kun, H. J. Z. C. W. (2008). The information visualization analysis of the study in international S & T policy, pp. 1–9.Google Scholar