Bibliometric evaluation of the research performance of the Greek civil engineering departments in National and European context
- First Online:
- 373 Downloads
Quality evaluation and its assurance in higher education institutions constitute an obligation and scope of most European Universities. To accomplish this, quantitative indices, known as bibliometrics, are recruited which are considered a useful evaluation tool particularly for academics’ and Universities’ research performance. In the present study, the research quality of the five Greek civil engineering departments (Athens, Patras, Thessaloniki, Volos, Xanthi) is assessed by means of several advanced bibliometric indices calculated separately for each academic. Statistical analysis of the data is also performed to compare the observed differences in the mean values of the calculated indices. The study is conducted both in department and academic rank level to explore how research activity is distributed among the various ranks. In addition, to evaluate the research status of the Greek departments in the European context, their research output is compared with that of London civil engineering department. To explore the dependence of bibliometrics on seniority, bibliometric analysis considering the research activity of all academics only during the last decade is also made. Finally, the temporal progress of the research productivity leads to interesting findings about the impact of the European economic crisis on research performance. In general, bibliometrics demonstrate that Patras department host academics of better quality, but Athens exhibits higher scientific activity over the last decade. Superiority of London department is evident but few bibliometrics are comparable with the ones of the Greek departments. Results also indicate that no common standards in hiring/promotion of academics are established, while the European socio-economic crisis has significant negative impact on research productivity.
KeywordsResearch evaluation Bibliometrics h-index Civil engineering Seniority Academic rank Economic crisis
- Aksnes, D.W. (2009). The use of bibliometric indicators in research evaluations in Norway. 14th Nordic Workshop on Bibliometrics and Research Policy, Stockholm, Norway, September 29–30.Google Scholar
- ENQA (2009). Standards and guidelines for quality assurance in the European higher education area. ENQA report. http://www.enqa.eu/files/ESG_3edition%20(2).pdf Accessed 17 Sep 2013.
- EUA (2011). Impact of the economic crisis on European Universities. www.eua.be/Libraries/Newsletter/Economic_monitoringJanuary2011final.sflb.ashx. Accessed 22 Sep 2013.
- Frazer, M. (1994). Quality in higher education: An international perspective. In D. Green (Ed.), What is quality in higher education? (pp. 107–117). Buckingham: SRHE and Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Hsu, J.C. (1996). Multiple comparisons–Theory and methods. London: Chapman & Hall. http://www.enqa.eu/files/ESG_3edition%20%282%29.pdf. Accessed 18 Sep 2013.
- Katsaros, D., Matsoukas, V., & Manolopoulos, Y. (2008). Evaluating Greek departments of computer science and engineering using bibliometric indices. In Proceedings of the Panhellenic conference on informatics (PCI), Samos Island, Greece, August 28–30, (pp. 93–102).Google Scholar
- Legislation 3374/2005. (2005). Quality assurance in higher education. Credit transfer and accumulation system–diploma supplement. Official Journal of the Hellenic Republic, 189A, 3057–3064. in Greek.Google Scholar
- Pantokratoras, A. (2000). University and research. To Vima (in Greek). http://www.tovima.gr/opinions/article/?aid=122680. Accessed 18 Sep 2013.
- Sachini, E., Malliou, N., Houssos, N., & Karaiskos, D. (2013). Greek scientific publications 1996–2010: A bibliometric analysis of Greek publications in international scientific journals/Scopus. National Documentation Centre. http://report03.metrics.ekt.gr/en. Accessed 25 Sep 2013.
- Vaxevanidis, N.M., Despotidi H., Asteris, P.G. & Typas, G. (2013). Evaluation of research in a Greek pedagogical and technological higher education institution. International Working Conference “Total Quality Management—Advanced and Intelligent Approaches’’, Belgrade, Serbia, June 4–7.Google Scholar
- Vaxevanidis, N. M., Despotidi, H., Prokopiou, H., & Koutsomichalis, A. (2011). On the evaluation of the quality of research in Greek HEIs using bibliometric indices. International Journal for Quality Research, 5(4), 247–254.Google Scholar