Cyclotron Production of 99Mo Radionuclide by Bombarding Zirconium Targets with Alpha Particle Beams
- 19 Downloads
A possibility of manufacturing 99Mo via a nuclear reaction with 96Zr (α, n) in the R-7 cyclotron of the Tomsk polytechnic university is investigated. The beam energy of α-particles is 27 MeV for the beam current values 13, 15 and 22 μA. The targets are manufactured from natural zirconium shaped as disks measuring 30 mm in diameter and 1.5 mm in thickness. As a result of the experiments the designed yield of 99Mo is found to be on the order of (1.62 ± 0.15) (MBq/(μA·h) for 96Zr targets with 100% enrichment, which closely agrees with the yields reported by other authors. It is shown that a sufficient amount of 99Mo can be output for technetium-99m to be manufactured at a regional level.
Keywordsmolybdenum-99 zirconium cyclotron technetium-99m
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.A. Lokhov, R. Cameron, C. Westmacott, et al., Technical Report, Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA) and Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), IAEA-TECDOC-1601, 28– 31 (2010).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Naafs, BJSTR, 4, No. 5, 1–6 (2018).Google Scholar
- 8.V. Lisin, A. Bogdanov, V. Golovkov, et al., Rev. Sci. Instrum., – 2014. – V. 85, No. 2, 02C314-1–3 (2014).Google Scholar
- 12.D. Rochman, A. Koning, J. Sublet, and M. Fleming, in: Proc. Int. Conf. on Nuclear Data for Science and Technology (2016). URL: https://tendl.web.psi.ch/tendl_2017/tendl2017.html (access date 09.07.2018).
- 13.NuDat 2.7 database. National Nuclear Data Center (NNDC), Brookhaven (2018). URL: http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat2/ (access date 24.07.2018).
- 14.C. Emery and M. Strutt, British Geological Survey, Internal Report IR/04/174, 12–15 (2004).Google Scholar
- 16.International Atomic Energy Agency, Tech. Rep. Ser. No. 468, 261–264, IAEA, Vienna (2009).Google Scholar
- 17.V. S. Skuridin, Methods and Technologies for Manufacturing Radiopharmaceutical Products: a course book [in Russian], TPU, Tomsk (2012).Google Scholar