“Wall Viscosity” of Magnetic Fluid Oscillations in a Strong Magnetic Field
- 7 Downloads
The authors provide an estimation of the “wall viscosity” and its increment (“magneto-viscous” effect) in a thin near-wall layer of a column of magnetic fluid oscillating in the tube when a strong transverse magnetic field is applied. The calculation is performed according to the formula obtained on the basis of two different theoretical approaches and applied to the previously published experimental results of the complex measurement of oscillation frequency and saturation magnetization of the magnetic fluid. These results are commented upon, stemming from the assumed absence of the field dependence of viscosity. The estimates of “wall viscosity” “from above” and “from below” are used to calculate their contribution to the damping coefficient of oscillations.
Keywordsmagnetic fluid viscosity “magneto-viscous” effect oscillation frequency damping coefficient of oscillations coefficient of ponderomotive elasticity magnetization saturation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. E. Rosensweig, Ferrohydrodynamics (Cambridge Monographson Mechanics and Applied Mathematics), N. Y. (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.D. V. Orlov, Yu. O. Mikhalev, N. K. Myshkin, Magnetic Fluids in Machine-Building [in Russian], Mashinostroenie, Moscow (1993).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Taketomi, S. Tikadzumi, Magnetic Fluids [in Russian, trans. from Japanese], Mir, Moscow (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.S. Odenbach, ed., Colloidal Magnetic Fluids: Basics, Development and Application of Ferrofluids, Lect. Notes Phys., Springer, Berlin (2009).Google Scholar
- 7.V. M. Polunin, M. L. Boev, Myo Min Than, and P. A. Ryapolov, Magnetohydrodynamics, 48, Issue 3, 557–566 (2012).Google Scholar
- 16.M. I. Shliomis, JETP [in Russian], 61, Issue 6, 2411–2418 (1971).Google Scholar
- 17.M. I. Shliomis, Physics-Uspekhi [in Russian], 112, Issue 3, 427–459 (1974).Google Scholar
- 18.A. O. Tsebers, Magnetohydrodynamics [in Russian], 4, 37–44 (1975).Google Scholar
- 19.M. M. Mayorov, Magnetohydrodynamics [in Russian], 4, 11–18 (1980).Google Scholar
- 20.S. N. Rzhevkin, Lectures of Sound Theory [in Russian], MSU Publishing House, Moscow (1960).Google Scholar
- 21.L. D. Landau, E. M. Lifshitz, Theoretical Physics. Hydrodynamics [in Russian], 6, Nauka, Moscow (1988).Google Scholar