On the Pressure of a Neutron Gas Interacting with the Non-Uniform Magnetic Field of a Neutron Star
On the basis of simple arguments, practically not going beyond the scope of an undergraduate course in general physics, we estimate the additional pressure (at zero temperature) of degenerate neutron matter due to its interaction with the non-uniform magnetic field of a neutron star. This work has methodological and possibly scientific value as an intuitive application of the content of such a course to a solution of topical problems of astrophysics.
Keywordsneutron star magnetic field magnetic moment of a neutron pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.V. V. Skobelev, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 142, No. 1(7), 85 (2012).Google Scholar
- 5.I. V. Savel’ev, Course in General Physics, Vol. 1, Mechanics. Molecular Physics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Statistical Physics, Vol. 5, Butterworth-Heinemann, London (1980).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Weinberg, Gravitation and Cosmology: Principles and Applications of the General Theory of Relativity, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1972).Google Scholar
- 8.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, The Classical Theory of Fields, Vol. 2, Butterworth-Heinemann, London (1975).Google Scholar