Does Antitrust Enforcement in High Tech Markets Benefit Consumers? Stock Price Evidence from FTC v. Intel
Antitrust enforcement efforts in the United States and abroad have been ramped up in high-tech industries, which has rekindled older and largely unresolved debates concerning the appropriate role of antitrust enforcement in high-tech markets. This paper evaluates the likely competitive effects of Intel’s conduct through two approaches: The conventional approach focuses on traditional antitrust metrics in product markets: prices and output. The second, alternative approach involves turning to financial markets for valuable information. Under either approach, the available data do not support the theory that Intel’s behavior harmed consumers.
KeywordsAMD Antitrust Federal Trade Commission Loyalty discounts Monopolization Intel Stock price evidence Technology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abbott A., Wright J. (2009) Antitrust analysis of exclusive dealing and tying arrangements. In: Hylton K. N. (eds) Antitrust law and economics. Edward Elgar Publishing, UKGoogle Scholar
- AMD Corp., AMD Opens New 300 mm Fab 36 in Dresden, Germany, Continuing its Track Record of Flawless Manufacturing Strategy Execution, Retrieved May 15, 2010, from, http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/Press_Release_101840.aspx.
- AMD Corp., AMD Reports Second Quarter Results (July 14, 2004), Retrieved May 15, 2010, from, http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/AboutAMD/0,,51_52_1991~87558,00.html.
- AMD Hit By Losses Across All Divisions. (2007). MSN MoneyCentral, Retrieved May 15, 2010, from http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/8609f8a0-a9b3-11dc-aa8b-0000779fd2ac.html.
- Athlon 61 CPUs: In Short Supply? (2003). PC World.Google Scholar
- Easterbrook F. (1984) The limits of antitrust. Texas Law Review 63(1): 1–24Google Scholar
- Edwards, C. (2002). A Weaker David to Intel’s Goliath. Business Week. Retrieved May 15, 2010, from http://www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/content/02_42/b3804048.htm?tc.
- Klein B., Murphy K. (2008) Exclusive dealing intensifies competition for distribution. Antitrust Law Journal 75(2): 433–465Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, B. (2005). The economics of loyalty discounts and antitrust law in the United States. Compet Policy Int 115–135.Google Scholar
- Kovacic, W. (2009). The Federal Trade Commission at 100: Into Our 2nd Century, 159–160.Google Scholar
- Lafontaine, F., & Slade, M. (2008). Empirical Assessment of Exclusive Contracts. In P. Buccirossi (Ed.), Handbook of Antitrust Economics.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, D. (2008). The Antitrust Treatment of Vertical Restraints: Beyond the Possibility Theorems. In Fredenberg, A. & S. Nyberg (Eds.), Report: The Pros and Cons of Vertical Restraints, Retrieved May 15, 2010, from http://www.konkurrensverket.se/upload/Filer/Trycksaker/Rapporter/Pros&Cons/rap_pros_and_cons_vertical_restraints.pdf.
- Page W., Lopatka J. (2009) The microsoft case: Antitrust, high technology, and consumer welfare. University of Chicago Press, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- Reback G. (2009) Free the Market!: Why only government can keep the marketplace competitive. Portfolio Hardcover, USAGoogle Scholar
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics producer price index, series identification numbers PCU33441333441312 (Microprocessors), Retrieved May 15, 2010, from http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/dsrv?pc.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Competition and Monopoly: Single-Firm Conduct Under Section 2 of the Sherman Act 137. (2008). Retrieved May 15, 2010, from http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/public/reports/236681.pdf (internal citations omitted).
- Werden G. (1989) The role of stock market studies in formulating antitrust policy toward horizontal mergers. Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics 28: 22–38Google Scholar
- Wright J. (2006) Antitrust law and competition for distribution. Yale Journal of Regulation 23(2): 169–208Google Scholar
- Wright, J. (2010). An antitrust analysis of the federal trade commission’s complaint against intel. ICLE Antitrust and Competition Policy White Paper Series. Retrieved May 15, 2010, from http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1624943.