Sounding of the ionosphere disturbed by the “Sura” heating facility radiation using signals of the GPS satellites
- 36 Downloads
We present the results of experimental studies of the properties of the plasma-density disturbances created during heating of the ionospheric F2 region by high-power HF radio waves radiated by the “Sura” heating facility (Radiophysical Research Institute, Nizhny Novgorod). These experiments are specific in that they were performed in a sunlit (daytime) ionosphere when the generation of ionospheric turbulence has specific features and the turbulence intensity level is low enough. The plasma-density disturbances induced by high-power HF radio emission were sounded by signals of the GPS satellites, the line of sight to which crossed different parts of the disturbed ionosphere region. Threshold powers of the excitation of artificial plasma-density variations as well as spatial, temporal, spectral, and energy characteristics of the generated disturbances are determined.
KeywordsTotal Electron Content Pump Wave Wavelet Spectrum Total Electron Content Variation Disturbed Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Radio Sci ., 9, No. 11 (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 44, No. 12 (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 47, No. 12 (1985).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 59, No. 18 (1997).Google Scholar
- 5.Radiophys. Quantum Electron., 37, No. 5 (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.Radiophys. Quantum Electron., 42, Nos. 7–8 (1999).Google Scholar
- 7.Radiophys. Quantum Electron., 48, No. 9 (2005).Google Scholar
- 8.Radiophys. Quantum Electron., 51, No. 11 (2008).Google Scholar
- 9.Radiophys. Quantum Electron., 30, No. 2, 156 (1987).Google Scholar
- 18.G. Milikh, A.Gurevich, K. Zybin, and J. Secan, Geophys. Res. Lett ., 35, L22102.Google Scholar
- 23.A. V. Gurevich and A. B. Shvartsburg, Nonlinear Theory of Propagation of Radio Waves in the Ionosphere [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1973).Google Scholar
- 24.V. E. Kunitsyn, A.M.Padokhin, A. E.Vasiliev, et al., Adv. Space Res. (2010); doi: 10.1016/j.asr.2010.03.031.
- 27.N. V. Bakhmet’yeva, V.V. Belikovich, V. D. Vyakhirev, et al., Radiophys. Quantum Electron. (2010) [in press].Google Scholar
- 28.N. V. Bakhmet’yeva, Yu. A. Ignatiev, S.A.Dmitriev, and P.B. Shavin, Geomagn. Aéron., 32, 180 (1992).Google Scholar
- 29.G. S. Bochkarev, I. B. Egorov, and V. A. Eremenko, Geomagn. Aéron., 20, No. 5, 848 (1980).Google Scholar