Demonetization in India: Superfluous discovery and money laundering
- 7 Downloads
Demonetization policy of 2016 in India anticipated that a large share of the old notes was held by tax evaders and criminals, who, in the interest of avoiding legal scrutiny, would not exchange their currency for the new notes in circulation. The Indian government expected a revenue windfall between 10 and 33% of the currency in circulation through unreturned notes. After the demonetization policy, entrepreneurs discovered ways to effectively and swiftly launder money and 99.3% of the revoked currency was returned within the sixty-day window. This paper discusses the kinds of entrepreneurship and superfluous discovery processes post-demonetization that helped circumvent the intended goals of demonetization.
KeywordsEntrepreneurship Superfluous discovery Demonetization India
JEL classificationD72 L26
The author would like to thank all the participants of “Austrian School of Economics Workshop” at the Wirth Institute for Austrian and Central European Studies, for comments and suggestions. Standard disclaimer applies.
- Andrews, Matt, Lant Pritchett, and Michael Woolcock. 2017. Building state capability: Evidence, analysis, action. 1st ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Ashish, K Hizbullah, MD, and Syed Masroor Hasan. 2016. “Demonetization: Here’s how temples are answering prayers of black money hoarders,” Business Today, December 6. https://www.businesstoday.in/buzztop/mail-today-business/heres-how-spiritual-leaders-are-laundering-hawala-money/story/241660.html. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Benson, B. L. (2004). Opportunities forgone: The unmeasurable costs of regulation. Journal of Private Enterprise, 19(2), 1–25.Google Scholar
- Datta, Devangshu. 2017. Note ban cost more than the amount IT officials can hope to recover from unusual deposits. Scroll, November 10.Google Scholar
- Ghosh, Sugata and Sangita Mehta. 2016. “Back-dated FDs may be behind huge deposits by cooperative banks, suspect taxmen,” Economic Times, December 16. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/banking/finance/banking/back-dated-fds-may-be-behind-huge-deposits-by-cooperative-banks-suspect-taxmen/articleshow/55988959.cms. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- IANS. 2017. Demonetisation: 10% currency won’t come back: Niti Aayog’s Bibek Debroy, Economic Times, January 10. https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/industry/demonetisation-10-currency-wont-come-back-niti-aayogs-bibek-debroy/56437732. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Ikeda, Sanford, 1997. Dynamics of the mixed economy: Toward a theory of interventionism. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- India Today. 2016. After demonetisation, 1,000 per cent rise in rail ticket bookings; airport counter sales also soar, India Today, November 10. https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/demonetisation-railway-ticket-booking-airport-flight-tickets-dgca-351384-2016-11-10. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Kirzner, I. M. (1985). Discovery and the capitalist process. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Koning, JP. 2017. No rupee Left Behind Moneyness, September 5, 2017. http://jpkoning.blogspot.com/2017/09/no-rupees-left-behind.html. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Luther, William J. 2017. Second thoughts on Indian Demonetization, AIER, November 1. https://www.aier.org/article/sound-money-project/second-thoughts-indian-demonetization. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Majumdar, Arkamoy Dutta. 2017. How shell companies are used in black money creation, laundering, Mint, august 18.Google Scholar
- Mises, Ludwig von. 1929 . Critique of Interventionism, translated by Hans F. Sennholz. New Rochelle, NY: Arlington House.Google Scholar
- Mises, Ludwig von. 1949. Human action: A treatise on economics. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Mises, Ludwig von. 1957. Theory and history. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Mitra, Devirupa. 2017. “Where do Nepal and Bhutan stand one year after demonetisation?” The Wire, November 9. https://thewire.in/economy/where-do-nepal-and-bhutan-stand-one-year-after-demonetisation. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Modi, Narendra. 2016. “PM Modi Mann Ki Baat Speech: Full Text” November 27, 2016. https://www.narendramodi.in/text-of-pm-s-mann-ki-baat-address-on-all-india-radio-on-27-november-2016%2D%2D533318. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- PTI. 2016. “Deposits of old notes in accounts of political parties exempt from income tax, with riders,” Mint, December 16. https://www.livemint.com/Politics/83hSnXRdZmz3K7RAfxPxVK/Deposits-of-old-notes-in-accounts-of-political-parties-exemp.html. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- PTI 2018a. “Money laundering racket busted; Rs 1 cr demonetised currency seized: Police,” Business Standard, June 5. https://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/money-laundering-racket-busted-rs-1-cr-demonetised-currency-seized-police-118060501426_1.html. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- PTI 2018b. “Jan Dhan accounts used to launder money during demonetisation: Chidambaram” Business Standard, November 1. https://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/jan-dhan-accounts-used-to-launder-money-during-demonetisation-chidambaram-118110101546_1.html. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Radjou, Nani, Jaideep Prabhu and Simone Ahuja. 2010. “Jugaad: A New Growth Formula for Corporate America,” Harvard Business Review, January 25. https://hbr.org/2010/01/jugaad-a-new-growth-formula-fo. Accessed 21 May 2019.Google Scholar
- Rai, Siddharth. 2016. Poor people become black money mules for rich, India Today, November 13. https://www.indiatoday.in/mail-today/story/poor-black-money-mules-rich-351731-2016-11-13. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Rajagopalan, Shruti. 2018. “What RBI data on demonetization tells us,” Mint, September 3. https://www.livemint.com/Opinion/lV1Bpucd2N6SkJaetRrzCP/Opinion%2D%2DWhat-the-RBI-data-on-demonetization-tells-us.html. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Rajagopalan, Shruti and Lawrence H. White. 2017. “Demonetization and welfare,” Mint, January 3.Google Scholar
- Reserve Bank of India. 2017. Annual Report 2016–17. August 2017. https://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/AnnualReport/PDFs/RBIAR201617_FE1DA2F97D61249B1B21C4EA66250841F.PDF. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- Sahgal, Ram. 2017. “This is how old notes turned into gold,” Economic Times, January 20. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/commodities/news/this-is-how-old-notes-turned-into-gold/articleshow/56679357.cms. Accessed 21 May 2019.
- TOI. 2018. “How did banning of old Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes affect gold,“ Times of India, May 11. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/faqs/gold-faqs/how-did-banning-of-old-rs-500-and-rs-1000-notes-affect-gold-price/articleshow/64124979.cms. Accessed 21 May 2019.