Paul Henry Latimer (1925–2011): discoverer of selective scattering in photosynthetic systems
- 112 Downloads
We provide here a brief tribute to Paul Henry Latimer (November 25, 1925 to October 1, 2011), a dedicated biological physicist, discoverer of selective scattering in biological systems, a wonderful teacher, husband, and father. We provide here a glimpse of his personal and professional life, including reminiscences from F. Dudley Bryant, Dan A. Cross, Bobby E. Pyle, Bryan L. Seiber, and Bruce A. Seiber.
KeywordsLight scattering Selective scattering Eugene Rabinowitch Robert Emerson Sieve effect James Franck
We thank Robert S. Knox, James D. Hanson, Margaret Kinard Latimer (Paul’s wife), and Rajni Govindjee for their valuable help during the preparation of this Tribute. We thank John C. Munday, Jr., for his corrections before submission of this file to Springer for typesetting. Govindjee thanks Susan Martinis (Head of Biochemistry) and James Dalling (Head of Plant Biology) of UIUC for their support.
- Govindjee (2004) Robert Emerson and Eugene Rabinowitch: understanding photosynthesis. In: Hoddeson L (ed) No boundaries: University of Illinois vignettes. University of Illinois Press, Urbana, Chap. 12, pp 181–194Google Scholar
- Latimer PH (1956) Fluorescence and scattering of light by plant pigments. PhD thesis, physico-chemical biology. University of Illinois, Urbana, p 133Google Scholar
- Latimer P (1963) Is selective scattering a universal phenomenon? In: Microalgae & photosynthetic bacteria. Japanese Society of Plant Physiology, University of Tokyo press, Tokyo, pp 213–225Google Scholar
- Latimer P, Bannister TT, Rabinowitch E (1957) The absolute quantum yields of fluorescence of photosynthetically active pigments. In: Gaffron H, Brown AH, French CS, Livingston R, Rabinowitch EI, Strehler BL, Tolbert NE (eds) Research in photosynthesis. Interscience Publishers, New York, pp 107–112Google Scholar
- Petzold TJ (1972) Volume scattering functions for selected ocean waters. Scripps Institution of Oceanography Report SIO 72–78Google Scholar
- Prickett WF, Bryant FD, Latimer P (1963) Light scattering by chloroplast in the UV. In: Kok B, Jagendorf AT (eds) Photosynthesis mechanisms in green plants. Publication # 1145. National Academy of Sciences—National Research Council, Washington, DC, pp 711–716Google Scholar
- Rabinowitch EI (1961) Robert Emerson (1903–1959). Biogr Mem Natl Acad Sci USA 25:112–131Google Scholar