René Marcelle (December 30, 1931–December 18, 2011), the first editor-in-chief of Photosynthesis Research
- 133 Downloads
This tribute honors the first editor-in-chief of Photosynthesis Research, René Marcelle the Belgian plant physiologist who, with publishers in The Netherlands, launched the journal in 1980. Here, we present a glimpse of René Marcelle’s early life, his education and research, as well as his editorial work for the journal and other conferences in plant physiology. He worked on control of photosynthesis, both the biological and environmental aspects, as well as on crassulacean acid metabolism. He is best remembered as a kind-hearted and humane editor.
KeywordsBelgium Book reviews Bryophyllum Horticulture Photosynthesis Research C. Sironval
We thank Christophe Marcelle, René’s son, and C. Barry Osmond for reading and editing this manuscript, and for providing information on René Marcelle’s publications.
- Charnel AR, Marcelle RD, Eloy JF (1982) Cuticular retention in vitro and localization of Zn after a foliar application of zinc-containing fungicides. J Amer Soc Hort Sci 107:804–807Google Scholar
- Govindjee, Barber J, Cramer W, Goedheer JC, Lavorel J, Marcelle R, Zilinskas B (eds) (1986) Excitation and electron transfer in photosynthesis—a special issue dedicated to Warren Lee Butler. Photosynth Res 10: 147–518; reprinted as a book, in 1987, by Martinus Nijhoff Publishers (then Kluwer Academic Publishers, now Springer), DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- Marcelle R (1970) Sur l’absence d’une relation simple entre le type d’échange du CO2 et l’induction de la floraison chez Bryophyllum daigremontianum. In: Cellular and molecular aspects of floral induction. G Berbier (ed) pp 243–251 Longman Group Ltd, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Marcelle R (ed) (1975b) Environmental and biological control of photosynthesis: proceedings of a conference held at ‘Limburgs Universitair Centrum’, Diepenbeek pp 26–30 August 1974. Dr W. Junk, The HagueGoogle Scholar
- Marcelle R (ed) (1982) Effects of stress on photosynthesis. Dr. W. Jung Publ., The HagueGoogle Scholar
- Marcelle R (ed) (1984) Flowering and fruit set in fruit trees. ISHS Acta Horticuturae 149, St-Truiden, Belgium (ISBN: 978-90-66052-71-0); available in ActaHortCD-rom format only (www.actahort.org/books/149/index.htm)
- Marcelle R, Clijsters H, Oben G, Bronchart R and Michel JM (1974) Effects of CCC and GA on photosynthesis of primary bean leaves. In: Science Council of Japan and IPGSA (eds) plant growth substances, proceedings of the 8th international conference of plant growth substances, pp 1169–1174. Hirokawa Publishing Company, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- Marcelle R, Clijsters H, van Poucke M (eds) (1979) Photosynthesis and plant development, Martinus Nihhoff/now SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Marcelle R, Clijsters H and van Poucke M (eds) (1983) Effects of stress on photosynthesis: proceedings of a conference held at the Limburgs Universitair Centrum, Diepenbeek, pp 22–27 August 1982. M Nijhoff/Dr W. Junk, The HagueGoogle Scholar
- Marcelle R, Clijsters H, M. van Poucke M (eds.) (1986) Biological Control of Photosynthesis. Martinus Nijhoff/now SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Simon P, Marcelle R (1983) Net photosynthesis and water status of apple seedlings under developing drought conditions: effects of fungicide pre-treatment. In: Clijsters H, van Poucke M (eds) R Marcelle. Martinus Nijhoff/Dr W Junk, The Hague, pp 133–139Google Scholar