Andrew A. Benson: personal recollections
- 129 Downloads
Andrew A. Benson, one of the greatest and much loved scientists of our century, passed away on January 16, 2015; he was born on September 24, 1917. A grand celebration of his life was held on February 6, 2015, in California. Here, we present one of his photographs and key excerpts from what was said then, and soon thereafter.
KeywordsBenson’s protocol Path of carbon Photosynthesis Radioisotope
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
University of California, San Diego
The authors express their sincere gratitude to Dee Benson, her children and grandchildren for organizing the Celebration of Andy’s Life. It was a magnificent tribute to the personal character of Andrew A. Benson, the Scientist. We thank Robert Cooney and John Nishio for sending their tributes to Andy for inclusion in this historical article; James Neri for his contributions; and those of the entire Benson family. We are grateful to Eva-Mari Aro, Bob Buchanan, Gerry Edwards, and Tom Sharkey for reading this Tribute and for making suggestions before its publication.
- Biel KY (1988) Phototrophic carbon metabolism in plants with differential organization of photosynthetic apparatus, Doctor of Science Thesis, Pushchino, Russia, 543 p. (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Biel KY, Fomina IR, Yensen NP, Nishio JN, Matichenkov VV, Nazarova GN, Soukhovolsky VG, Khlebopros RG (2014) Complex biological systems: adaptation and tolerance to extreme environments. Khlebopros RG, Biel KY (eds) Publishing House: “Gorod”. Pushchino-Krasnoyarsk, 343 pGoogle Scholar
- Buchanan BB (2012) A conversation with Andrew Benson. Reflections on the discovery of the Calvin–Benson cycle. You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfQQJ2vR_xE
- Buchanan BB, Douce R, Lichtenthaler HK (2007) Andrew A Benson. Photosynth Res 92:143–144; also see 12 other papers that follow, up to p 271Google Scholar
- Harkewicz L (2006) Oral history of Andrew Alm Benson. http://libraries.ucsd.edu/speccoll/siooralhistories/Benson.pdf
- Lichtenthaler HK, Buchanan BB, Douce R, Govindjee (2015a) Obituary: Andrew A. Benson 1917–2015. ASPB (American Society for Plant Biology) News. March/April 2015:25–26Google Scholar
- Nickelsen K (2015) Explaining photosynthesis: models of biochemical mechanisms, 1840–1960. Springer, 349 p, doi: 10.1007/978-94-017-9582-1
- Nonomura AM, Benson AA, Biel KY (2011) The path of carbon in photosynthesis. XXVII. Sugar-conjugated plant growth regulators enhance general productivity. J Plant Nutr 34(5):653–664. doi: 10.1080/01904167.2011.540622