Albert W. Frenkel (1919–2015): photosynthesis research pioneer, much-loved teacher, and scholar
- 161 Downloads
Albert W. Frenkel, a pioneer in photosynthesis research, and discoverer of photophosphorylation in photosynthetic bacteria, is remembered here by two of us: Govindjee (historical corner editor of photosynthesis research) and Susanna Frenkel (SF; Albert Frenkel’s daughter, who provided most of the family information).
KeywordsPhotophosphorylation Allan Brown Robert Emerson Albert Frenkel Hans Gaffron Martin Kamen Fritz Lipman Cornelis van Niel
We have drawn information on Frenkel from family archives, from an article on him written by one of us (SF): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Articles_for_creation/Albert_W._Frenkel and from Frenkel (1993).
- Frenkel AW (1959a) Light-induced reactions of chromatophores of Rhodospirillum rubrum. The Photochemical apparatus, its structure and function. Brookhaven symposia in biology, vol 11. Brookhaven National Laboratory, NY, pp 276–288Google Scholar
- Frenkel AW (1985) Fritz Lipmann’s contributions to photosynthesis. In: Ebashi S (ed) Cellular regulation and malignant growth. Japan Scientific Societies Press, Tokyo, pp 283–291Google Scholar
- Frenkel AW, Cost K (1966) Photosynthetic phosphorylation. In: Florkin M, Stotz EH (eds) Comprehensive biochemistry, vol 14. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 397–423Google Scholar
- Frenkel AW, Nelson RA (1971) Bacterial chromatophores. In: San Pietro A (ed) Methods in enzymology vol 23, photosynthesis part A. Academic Press, New York, pp 256–268Google Scholar
- Frenkel AW, Jahnke LS, Petryka ZJ (1981) Photooxidation and photoreduction reaction sensitized by hematoporphyrin. In: Rodgers AJ, Powers EL (eds) Oxygen and oxy radicals chemistry and biology. Academic Press, New York, pp 634–635Google Scholar
- Gilmore A, Itoh SS, Govindjee (2000) Global spectral-kinetic analysis of room temperature chlorophyll a fluorescence from light harvesting antenna mutants of barley. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B B335:1–14Google Scholar
- Govindjee (2004) Robert Emerson and Eugene Rabinowitch: understanding photosynthesis. In: Hoddeson Lillian (ed) “No Boundaries: University of Illinois Vignettes”, Chapter 12. University of Illinois Press, Urbana and Chicago, pp 181–194Google Scholar
- Kamen MD (1985) Radiant science, dark politics: a memoir of the nuclear age. University of California Press, BerkeleyGoogle Scholar