Near-optimal coverage trajectories for image mosaicing using a mini quad-rotor over irregular-shaped fields
Aerial images are useful tools for farmers who practise precision agriculture. The difficulty in taking geo-referenced high-resolution aerial images in a narrow time window considering weather restrictions and the high cost of commercial services are the main drawbacks of these techniques. In this paper, a useful tool to obtain aerial images by using low cost unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) is presented. The proposed system allows farmers to easily define and execute an aerial image coverage mission by using geographic information system tools in order to obtain mosaics made of high-resolution images. The system computes a complete path for the UAV by taking into account the on-board camera features once the image requirements and area to be covered are defined. This work introduces a full four-step procedure: mission definition, automatic path planning, mission execution and mosaic generation.
KeywordsAerial images Mosaicing Coverage path planning Aerial robots Mission planner Remote sensing
- Aggarwal, M., Hua, H., Ahuja, N. (2001). On cosine-fourth and vignetting effects in real lenses. In B. Werner (Ed.), Proceedings of the eighth international conference on computer vision (Vol. 1, pp. 472–479). Vancouver: IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- D’Angelo, P. (2012). Radiometric alignment and vignetting calibration. In K. D. Baker et al. (Eds.), Proceedings 5th international conference on computer vision systems. Bielefeld: Applied Computer Science Group.Google Scholar
- German, D., D’Angelo, P., Gross, M., & Postle, B. (2007). New methods to project panoramas for practical and aesthetic purposes. In D. W. Cunningham, G. Meyer, L. Neumann, A. Dunning, R. Paricio (Eds.), Proceedings of computational aesthetics, Baff, Canada (pp. 15–22). Aire-la-Ville: Eurographics Association.Google Scholar
- Jiao, Y.S.,Wang, X.M., Chen, H., & Li, Y. (2010). Research on the coverage path planning of uavs for polygon areas. In Jing Bing Zhang et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 5th IEEE conference on industrial electronics and applications (pp. 1467–1472). Piscataway, New Jersey, USA: IEEE Service Center.Google Scholar
- Johnson, L.F., Herwitz, S., Dunagan, S., Lobitz, B., Sullivan, D., & Slye, R. (2003). Collection of ultra high spatial and spectral resolution image data over California vineyards with a small uav. In International Center for Remote Sensing of Environment (Ed.), Proceedings of the international symposium on remote sensing of environment (pp. 221–230). Honolulu, HI: International Center for Remote Sensing of Environment.Google Scholar
- Ke, Y., & Sukthankar, R. (2004). Pca-sift: A more distinctive representation for local image descriptors. In proceedings of the 2004 IEEE computer society conference on computer vision and pattern recognition (Vol. 2, pp. II–506). Washington: IEEE.Google Scholar
- Lowe, D. (1999). Object recognition from local scale-invariant features. In B. Werner (Ed.), In The proceedings of the seventh IEEE international conference on computer vision (Vol. 2, pp. 1150–1157). IEEE. doi:10.1109/ICCV.1999.790288.
- Maza, I., & Ollero, A. (2007). Multiple uav cooperative searching operation using polygon area decomposition and efficient coverage algorithms. In R. Alami, R. Chatila, H. Asama (Eds.), Distributed autonomous robotic systems (Vol. 6, pp. 221–230). Tokyo: Springer.Google Scholar
- Nebiker, S., Annen, A., Scherrer, M., & Oesch, D. (2008). A light-weight multispectral sensor for micro uav—opportunities for very high resolution airborne remote sensing. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, XXXVII, 1193–1200.Google Scholar
- Philpot, W. (2001). Digital image processing. Ithaca: Cornell University.Google Scholar
- Quigley, M., Gerkey, B., Conley, K., Faust, J., Foote, T., Leibs, J., Berger, E., Wheeler, R., & Ng, A. (2009). Ros: an open-source robot operating system. In Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (workshop on open source software). Kobe.Google Scholar
- Senore, F. (2004). Accessed September 2, 2012 from http://wiki.panotools.org/Fluvio_Senore.
- Valente, J., Barrientos, A., Cerro, J. D., & Sanz, D. (2011a). A waypoint-based mission planner for farmland coverage with an aerial robot—A precision farming tool. In J. V. Stafford (Ed.), Proceedings of the 8th european conference on precision agriculture (pp. 427–436). Wageningen: Wageningen Academic Publishers.Google Scholar