The Prospects for Managing Diversity in the Public Sector: The Case of the Ontario Public Service
- 842 Downloads
Diversity management (DM) has become one of the critical aspects of public sector reforms in recent times because of population dynamics and demographic shifts in society. The idea is that DM can help public organizations achieve their objectives effectively, especially service delivery. In 2008, the Ontario government made DM a core part of its public sector modernization agenda, and launched its first comprehensive diversity strategy that viewed diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion as fundamental to a modern, progressive civil service. This paper aims at understanding the challenges in the implementation of diversity and inclusiveness in the Ontario public service.
KeywordsCanada Diversity management Ontario Public sector Public service
- Bacchi, C. (2000). The seesaw effect: down goes affirmative action, up comes workplace diversity. Journal of Interdisciplinary Gender Studies, 5(2), 64–83.Google Scholar
- Bakan, A. B. and Kobayashi, A. (2007). Affirmative action and employment equity: Policy, ideology and backlash in Canadian content. Studies in Political Economy, 79(Spring), 145–166.Google Scholar
- Bakan, A. B. and Kobayashi, A. (2003). Ontario: Lesson of the rise and fall of employment equity legislation from the perspective of rights advocacy. Toronto: Canadian Race Relations Foundation.Google Scholar
- Bakan, A. B. and Kobayashi, A. (2000). Employment equity policy in Canada: An interprovincial comparison, Status of Women in Canada, www.swc-cfc-gc.ca, (accessed 2nd May 2012).
- Borins, S. F. (2012). Making narrative count: a narratological approach to public management innovation. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 22(1), 165–189.Google Scholar
- Caiden, G. (2006). The administrative state in a globalizing world: some trends and challenges. Research in Public Policy Analysis and Management, 15, 514–542.Google Scholar
- Casella, E. (1995). Ontario Tories to kill employment equity act. Hamilton Spectator, Thursday, October 12, A3Google Scholar
- Cornelius, N., Gooch, L., & Todd, S. (2000). Managers leading diversity for business excellence. Journal of General Management 25(3), 67–78.Google Scholar
- Eboe-Osuji, C. and McIsaac, E. (2002). Repeal of the Ontario employment equity laws: Denial of equal protection of the law. In C. Agocs (ed.) Workplace Equality: International Perspectives on Legislation, Policy and Practice, The Hague: Kluwer Law International.Google Scholar
- Edelman, L. B., Riggs Fuller, S., & Mara-Drita, I. (2001). Diversity rhetoric and the managerialization of law. American Journal of Sociology 106(6), 1589–1641Google Scholar
- Government of Ontario (1990). Speech from the Throne, http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/house-proceedings/house_detail.do?locale=fr&Parl=35&Sess=1& Date=1990-11-20 (accessed 9th May 2012).
- Hamde, K., Janssens, M., Laer, K. V., Wahlin, N., & Zanoni, P. (2011). Diversity and diversty management in business and organization studies. In S. Knotter, R. De Lobels, L. Tsipouri, & V. Stenius (Eds.), Diversity research and policy: A multidisciplinary exploration. Amsterdam: Pallas Publications.Google Scholar
- Joanou, J. (n.d.). Diversity and the recession. http://opportunities.co.uk/public-sector/articles/diversity-and-the-recession.
- Joplin, J. R. W., & Daus, C. S. (1997). Challenges of leading a diverse workforce. Academy of Management Executive, 11(3), 32–47.Google Scholar
- Kaler, J. (2001). Diversity, equality, morality. In M. Noon and E. Ogbonna (Eds)., Equality, Diversity, and Disadvantage in Employment. Palgrave Macmillan: Basingstoke.Google Scholar
- Kandola, R., & Fullerton, J. (1994). Diversity in action: Managing the mosaic. London: Cromwell Press.Google Scholar
- Kandola, R., Fullerton, J., & Ahmed, Y. (1995). Managing diversity: succeeding where equal opportunities has failed. Equal Opportunities Review, 59, 31–6.Google Scholar
- Lewis, S. (1992). Report of the advisor on race relations to the premier of Ontario, Bob Rae, http://www.siu.on.ca/pdfs/report_of_the_advisor_on_race_relations_to_the_premier_of_ontario_bob_rae.pdf (accessed 9th May 2012).
- Litvin, D. R. (2002). The business case for diversity and the ‘Iron Cage.’ In B. Czarniawska and H. Höpfl (Eds.), Casting the other: The production and maintenance of inequalities in work organizations. New York. NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Loreto, R. (1990). The bureaucracy. In G. White (Ed.), The government and politics of Ontario (4th ed.). Toronto: Nelson.Google Scholar
- Madhany, S. (2011). Inclusion Lens: An innovative view into inclusive polices, programs and services. http://cge.itincanada.ca/index.php?cid=311&id=13934&np=3 (accessed 3rd April 2012).
- Ministry of Citizenship. (1991). Working towards equality: The discussion paper on employment equity legislation. Toronto: Ontario.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (2008). 2008 Framework for Action: Diverse Ontario, Diverse OPS, Toronto: OntarioGoogle Scholar
- Nolan, D. (1995). Harris trashes Ontario’s employment-equity law. The Gazette, Thursday, July 20, A8.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2009). Fostering diversity in the public service. Public employment and management working party GOV/PGC/PEM(2009)1. http://www.oecd.org/mena/governance/44212841.pdf.
- Ontario Public Service (OPS). (2009). Driving change from a solid foundation: OPS diversity three-year strategic plan and annual progress report. Toronto: Ontario.Google Scholar
- Ontario Public Service Diversity Office (OPSDO). (2011). OPS diversity annual report: Toward inclusion. Toronto: Ontario.Google Scholar
- Riccucci, N. M. (2002). Managing diversity in public sector workforces. Boulder: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Riccucci, N. R. (2006). Affirmative action in the twenty-first century. In N. R. Riccucci (Ed.), Public personnel management: Current concerns, future challenges (4th ed.). New York: Longman.Google Scholar
- Robinson, G., & Dechant, K. (1997). Building a business case for diversity. Academy of Management Executive, 11(3), 21–31.Google Scholar
- Roch, L. (2008). The case for diversity in a large public sector organization, The 8th Annual Conference on the Diversity in Organizations, Communities and Nations, Montreal, Canada, June 18.Google Scholar
- Schneider, S. K., & Northcraft, G. B. (1999). Three social dilemmas of workforce diversity in organizations: a social identity perspective. Human Relations, 52(11), 1445–1467.Google Scholar
- Thomas, R. R. Jr. (1990). From affirmative action to affirming diversity. Harvard Business Review, March-April: 107–117.Google Scholar
- Toughill, K. (1993). Ontario passes job equity law - the first in Canada. Toronto Star, Friday, 10 December, A2.Google Scholar