Effect of green light on the amount and activity of NDH-1–PSI supercomplex in Synechocystis sp. strain PCC 6803
- 96 Downloads
Cyanobacterial NDH-1 interacts with PSI to form NDH-1–PSI supercomplex. CpcG2, a linker protein for the PSI-specific peripheral antenna CpcG2-phycobilisome, is essential for stabilization of the supercomplex. Green light (GL) increased the expression of CpcG2 but had little effect, if any, on the expression of NDH-1 and PSI, when compared to the abundance of these components under red light (RL). The increased expression of CpcG2 intensified the band of NDH-1–PSI supercomplex after blue-native gel electrophoresis of the thylakoid membrane, possibly by stabilizing the supercomplex. The activity of NDH-1-dependent cyclic electron transport around PSI increased when cells grown under RL were transferred to a low intensity GL but was suppressed when cells were grown under high intensities of GL. The functionality of PSI showed the same trend. We thus conclude that GL increases the expression of CpcG2, thereby increasing the abundance of the NDH-1–PSI supercomplex and its activity at low GL but not at higher GL.
Additional key wordschlorophyll fluorescence cyanobacteria cyclic electron transport around PSI light-harvesting antenna light quality P700 analysis
Coomassie Brilliant Blue
NDH-1-dependent cyclic electron transport around PSI
the maximal P700 change
- Synechocystis 6803
Synechocystis sp. strain PCC 6803
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Battchikova N., Wei L., Du L. et al.: Identification of novel Ssl0352 protein (NdhS), essential for efficient operation of cyclic electron transport around photosystem I, in NADPH:plastoquinone oxidoreductase (NDH-1) complexes of Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803.–J. Biol. Chem. 286: 36992–37001, 2011.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Fujita Y., Murakami A.: Regulation of electron transport composition in cyanobacterial photosynthetic system: stoichiometry among photosystem I and II complexes and their light harvesting antennae and cytochrome b6/f complex.–Plant Cell Physiol. 28: 1547–1553, 1987.Google Scholar
- Fujita Y., Ohki K., Murakami A.: Chromatic regulation of photosystem composition in the photosynthetic system of red and blue-green algae.–Plant Cell Physiol. 26: 1541–1548, 1985.Google Scholar
- Klughammer C., Schreiber U.: Saturation pulse method for assessment of energy conversion in PSI.–PAM Appl. Notes 1: 11–14, 2008.Google Scholar
- Mi H., Endo T., Ogawa T., Asada K.: Thylakoid membranebound, NADPH-specific pyridine nucleotide dehydrogenase complex mediated cyclic electron transport in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803.–Plant Cell Physiol. 36: 661–668, 1995.Google Scholar
- Mi H., Endo T., Schreiber U., Ogawa T. et al.: Electron donation from cyclic and respiratory flows to the photosynthetic intersystem chain is mediated by pyridine nucleotide dehydrogenase in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis PCC 6803.–Plant Cell Physiol. 33: 1233–1237, 1992.Google Scholar