On oxygen production by photosynthesis: A viewpoint
In this brief communication we provide an estimate of the part of the incident solar energy used for oxygen evolution as well as the time, in years, needed for the generation of the present amount of molecular oxygen in the biosphere by photosynthesis on land and in the ocean. We find this to be ≈3,000 yr. We also find that the ocean produces 22% more oxygen than the land surface.
Additional key wordsGovindjee net primary production oceanic oxygen production solar radiation terrestrial oxygen production
net primary production
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Björn L.O., Govindjee: The evolution of photosynthesis and its environmental impact.–In: Björn L.O. (ed.): Photobiology: The Science of Light and Life. Pp. 207–229. Springer Science+ Business Media, New York 2015.Google Scholar
- Blankenship R.E.: Molecular Mechanisms of Photosynthesis, 2nd ed. Pp. 312. Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken 2014.Google Scholar
- Borisov A.Y.: Photosynthesizing organisms: converters of solar energy.–In: Barber J. (ed.): Photosynthesis in Relation to Model Systems. Pp 1–26. Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam–New York–Oxford 1979.Google Scholar
- Demmig-Adams B., Garab G., Adams III W., Govindjee (ed.): Non-Photochemical Quenching and Energy Dissipation In Plants, Algae and Cyanobacteria, Advances in Photosynthesis and Respiration Including Bioenergy and Other Processes, Vol. 40. Pp. 649. Springer, Dordrecht 2014.Google Scholar
- Falkowski P., Raven J.: Aquatic Photosynthesis, 2nd ed. Pp. 484. Princton University Press, Princeton 2007.Google Scholar
- Keeling R.F.: Development of an Interferometric Oxygen Analyzer for Precise Measurement of the Atmospheric O2 Mole Fraction. Pp. 178.–PhD Thesis, Harvard University, Harvard 1988a.Google Scholar
- Mecherikunnel A.T., Richmond J.C.: Spectral distribution of solar radiation. NASA Report TM 82021. Pp. 86. Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt 1980.Google Scholar
- Rabinowitch E., Govindjee: Photosynthesis. Pp. 273. John Wiley & Sons, New York 1969.Google Scholar
- Running S.W., Zhao M.: User’s guide daily GPP and annual NPP (MOD17A2/A3) products NASA Earth Observing System MODIS land algorithm. http://www.academia.edu/4620715/Users_Guide_GPP_and_NPP_MOD17A2_A3_Products_NA SA_MODIS_Land_Algorithm, 2015.Google Scholar
- Zhao M., Running S., Heinsch F.A., Nemani R.: MODIS-derived terrestrial primary production.–In: Ramachandran B., Justice C.O., Abrams J. (ed.): Land Remote Sensing and Global Environmental Change Remote Sensing and Digital Image Processing. Pp. 635–660. Springer, New York 2011.Google Scholar