New and old anti-thrombotic treatments for patients with atrial fibrillation
- 332 Downloads
Impacts on practice
The effectiveness of new oral anticoagulants in atrial fibrillation is extensively being studied, but also innovative medical devices aimed at this disease condition need to be evaluated (e.g. Watchman).
Regardless of the type of treatment, the same end-points (stroke or systemic embolism, death from any cause) have been assessed in clinical trials so that meta-analysis techniques can be applied.
Our study employed network meta-analysis to synthetise the effectiveness data of warfarin, new oral anticoagulants, and Watchman and showed the potential advantages of the new treatments as well as the economic implications in terms of budget impact.
Patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation are at risk for stroke and can therefore require chronic treatment. While warfarin has long been the standard of care, the new oral anticoagulants (namely, dabigatran, rivaroxaban, and apixaban) have recently been proposed as an alternative. One advantage of these new...
KeywordsAtrial fibrillation Budget impact Cost-effectiveness Dabigatran Left atrial appendage closure Network meta-analysis Watchman Oral anticoagulants
Conflicts of interest
- 1.Connolly SJ, Ezekowitz MD, Yusuf S, Eikelboom J, Oldgren J, Parekh A, Pogue J, Reilly PA, Themeles E, Varrone J, Wang S, Alings M, Xavier D, Zhu J, Diaz R, Lewis BS, Darius H, Diener HC, Joyner CD. RE-LY steering committee and investigators. Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;361(12):1139–51.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Holmes DR, Reddy VY, Turi ZG, Doshi SK, Sievert H, et al. Percutaneous closure of the left atrial appendage versus warfarin therapy for prevention of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation: a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2009;374(534):42. (Erratum in Lancet. 2009 Nov 7;374(9701):1596).Google Scholar
- 5.Reddy VY, Holmes D, Doshi SK, Neuzil P, Kar S. Safety of percutaneous left atrial appendage closure: results from the watchman left atrial appendage system for embolic protection in patients with AF (PROTECT AF) clinical trial and the continued access registry. Circulation. 2011;123(4):417–24.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.ITC software. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, Indirect Treatment Comparison software, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.Google Scholar
- 11.Maratea D. Economic consequences of approval extensions: the case of rituximab (published 26 May 2011). eBMJ, available at http://www.bmj.com/content/338/bmj.b67?tab=responses.
- 14.Mantha S, Ansell J. An indirect comparison of dabigatran, rivaroxaban and apixaban for atrial fibrillation. Thromb Haemost 2012;108(3).Google Scholar
- 16.Fadda V, Maratea D, Passaro D, Trippoli S. “Metanalisi a rete” o “network meta-analysis”, un nuovo strumento di analisi delle evidenze. Esempi di applicazione. Bollettino SIFO 2011;57(Jan–Feb issue): doi 10.1704/751.8491.
- 17.Anonymous. Epidemiologia della fibrillazione atriale dati dalla letteratura scientifica e dalle fonti informative disponibili. Ser. Estratto da IES, bollettino informativo del sistema epidemiologico regionale del veneto - n.4, dicembre 2009; pp. 3–6.Google Scholar
- 18.Evaluation of the WATCHMAN LAA Closure Device in Patients With Atrial Fibrillation Versus Long Term Warfarin Therapy (PREVAIL) http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01182441.
- 19.Anonymous. Market Watch, Press Release, May 11, 2011. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/study-of-first-in-class-watchman-device-shows-75-percent-reduction-in-stroke-risk-in-patients-with-atrial-fibrillation-not-eligible-for-oral-anticoagulation-therapy-2012-05-11.
- 21.Messori A, Fadda V, Maratea D, Trippoli S. Does network meta-analysis generate any new knowledge? Thromb Haemost. 2012;109(2). doi: 10.1160/TH12-10-0749.
- 23.Camm AJ, Lip GY, De Caterina R, Savelieva I, Atar D, Hohnloser SH, Hindricks G, Kirchhof P; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG), Bax JJ, Baumgartner H, Ceconi C, Dean V, Deaton C, Fagard R, Funck-Brentano C, Hasdai D, Hoes A, Kirchhof P, Knuuti J, Kolh P, McDonagh T, Moulin C, Popescu BA, Reiner Z, Sechtem U, Sirnes PA, Tendera M, Torbicki A, Vahanian A, Windecker S; Document Reviewers, Vardas P, Al-Attar N, Alfieri O, Angelini A, Blömstrom-Lundqvist C, Colonna P, De Sutter J, Ernst S, Goette A, Gorenek B, Hatala R, Heidbüchel H, Heldal M, Kristensen SD, Kolh P, Le Heuzey JY, Mavrakis H, Mont L, Filardi PP, Ponikowski P, Prendergast B, Rutten FH, Schotten U, Van Gelder IC, Verheugt FW. 2012 focused update of the ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: An update of the 2010 ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation. Eur Heart J. 2012;33(21):2719–47.Google Scholar