In Vitro Evaluation of Drug Content in and Drug Release Kinetics from Stents with Different Types of Polymer Coating
- 38 Downloads
Drug elution profiles must be studied in vitro to optimize a polymer-drug formulation during development of drug-eluting stents (DESs). Results from HPLC assays of drug contents and elution kinetics from a biodegradable sirolimus coating and a stable zotarolimus coating on coronary DESs are presented. Drug contents were assessed for crimped stents on the delivery system and expanded stents. The drug coating morphology and elution kinetics were demonstrated to be associated. Significant coating morphological defects were shown to cause deviations in the drug elution profile.
Keywordssirolimus zotarolimus drug-eluting stent HPLC drug-polymer coating
- 2.K. D. Rizas and J. Mehilli, Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions, 9(6) (2016); URL: http://circinterventions.ahajournals.org/content/9/6/e002943 (accessed Mar. 14, 2018).
- 3.Medtronic. Resolute Integrity Zotarolimus-Eluting Coronary Stent System. Instructions for Use; URL: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf11/P110013S005c.pdf (accessed Mar. 14, 2018).
- 7.D. Kapustin, N. Orlinskaya, and K. Kulakova, Interv. Cardiol., 10(1), 1 – 7 (2017).Google Scholar
- 8.Z. Islambulchilar, S. Ghanbarzadeh, S. Emami, et al., Adv. Pharm. Bull., 2(2), 135 – 139 (2012).Google Scholar
- 11.I. T. Meredith, S. Worthley, R. Whitbourn, et al., EuroIntervention, 3(1), 50 – 53 (2007).Google Scholar