Chemical Composition and Antioxidant Activity of Petroleum Ether Extract of Canarium album
Chemical compositions and the relative yield of petroleum ether extract of Canarium album have been investigated by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS). Thirty components, representing 95.05% of petroleum ether extract, were identified. Among these, ethyl linoleate (27.94%), linoleic acid (22.14%), n-hexadecanoic acid (18.74%), and ethyl palmitate (8.63%) are the main constituents, and 12 components are first time reported for C. album. The antioxidant capacity of petroleum ether extract was determined by DPPH· and ABTS+· assay. The results revealed that petroleum ether extract of C. album exhibited good antioxidant activity in both systems. It is the first report on the antioxidant activity of petroleum ether extract of C. album.
KeywordsCanarium album petroleum ether extract chemical composition antioxidant activity
This work was supported by the Scientific Research Starting Foundation of Chongqing Technology and Business University (no. 2015 – 56 – 07), Key Laboratory of Natural Medicine Research of Chongqing Education Commission (no. CQCM-2015 – 07), and Scientific Research Foundation of Chongqing Technology and Business University (Program 2015).
- 2.Z. B. Xiang, X. Y. Liu, C. L. He, et al., Asian J. Chem., 14, 4529 – 4530 (2014).Google Scholar
- 3.Z. B. Xiang, H. Q. Mo, Z. T. Qu, et al., Asian J. Chem., 8, 3759 – 3760 (2011).Google Scholar
- 11.A. A. Carvalho, L. N. Andrade, E. B. V. de Sousa, et al., Biomed. Res. Intern., 1 – 21 (2015).Google Scholar
- 14.Y. S. Lan, J. X. Niu, Y. F. Jiang, et al., J. Chongqing Technol. Business Univ. (Nat. Sci. Ed.), 33 (4), 22 – 27(2016).Google Scholar
- 15.National Institute of Standards and Technology: Spectral Database for Organic Compounds, NIST WebBook: http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry (2015).
- 16.R. P. Adams. Identification of Essential Oil Components by Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectroscopy, 4th edition, Allured Publ., Carol Stream, IL (2007).Google Scholar
- 17.Z. S. Liu, C. L. Liu, Z. Y. Yin, et al., J. Chongqing Technol. Business Univ. (Nat. Sci. Ed.), 26(6), 585 – 588(2009).Google Scholar
- 18.X. C. Li, J. Lin, Y. X. Gao, et al., Chem. Central J., 6, 140 (2012).Google Scholar
- 20.Z. Ming, Y. F. Chen, and L. S. Gan, Acta Horticult. Sinica, 6, 757 (2004).Google Scholar
- 21.Y. M. Zhang, R. Q. Xu, W. J. Lin, et al., Fujian Med. J., 5, 65 – 67 (2011).Google Scholar
- 22.K. Hiromu, Y. Cheng, and M. Mitsuo, Yakugaku Zasshi, 3, 293 – 298 (1975).Google Scholar